View previous topic | View next topic

Sandwiches

Page 1 of 1

Shanty Pete
1304911.  Wed Nov 28, 2018 6:16 am Reply with quote

In a recent episode, M and S were credited with being the first to sell packag d sandwiches in the 1980s. My mother was making and selling packaged sandwiches in her shop in central Liverpool in 1959. The most popular was prawn and lettuce on brown bread. Delicious. How do I set the record straight?

GuyBarry
1304913.  Wed Nov 28, 2018 6:28 am Reply with quote

This was raised in post 1300032. It's suggested in that thread that M & S may have sold the first branded packaged sandwiches, although I don't know if that's correct.

cnb
1304945.  Wed Nov 28, 2018 11:37 am Reply with quote

Shanty Pete wrote:
In a recent episode, M and S were credited with being the first to sell packag d sandwiches in the 1980s. My mother was making and selling packaged sandwiches in her shop in central Liverpool in 1959. The most popular was prawn and lettuce on brown bread. Delicious. How do I set the record straight?

I suspect the issue here is the meaning of the word 'packaged'. People have been wrapping sandwiches to stop the bread going stale for ages. What M&S did that was new was to make and package large quantities of sandwiches centrally in a factory, then distribute them to shops for sale.

Page 1 of 1