View previous topic | View next topic

Blackadder Theme

Page 1 of 1

robertdecleyn
1304892.  Wed Nov 28, 2018 3:46 am Reply with quote

Wiki says Howard Goodall wrote the classic theme to the Blackadder series. During a recent trip to a Catalan festival in Girona I was surprised to hear that tune being played by people on traditional pipes and in traditional costume. Is it a traditional Spanish tune that Goodall used or are the Catalonians fans of Blackadder? Best Rob

DVD Smith
1304910.  Wed Nov 28, 2018 6:08 am Reply with quote

While it's certainly possible for Howard to have been inspired by traditional classical music, I think the show has just gone worldwide in the 3+ decades since its debut - especially in the past few years thanks to the internet.

Popular culture is so widespread now that you sometimes find recognisable music turning up in the weirdest places. I once heard church bells in Fuerteventura playing "Yesterday" by The Beatles, while last year I heard a New Orleans steamboat playing the underwater music from Super Mario Bros using an organ connected to its steam pipes.

cornixt
1304942.  Wed Nov 28, 2018 11:15 am Reply with quote

Maybe it was the Miss Marple theme tune, I always get confused between that and the Blackadder theme.

Page 1 of 1