The QI Title Music

Page 5 of 7
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

eggshaped
851180.  Thu Sep 29, 2011 7:52 am Reply with quote

Here's another, from Facebook:

http://grooveshark.com/#/s/Komm+Susser+Tod/3rlSSk?src=5

Another poster says:

I've always thought the QI theme sounds like the instrumental bit in "It Must Be Love" skip to 1.54:
http://youtu.be/acD-1v-cNs4

monzac
851188.  Thu Sep 29, 2011 8:17 am Reply with quote

Must be an antipodean influence. I've always been reminded of the chorus of Dragon's Rain. Skip to 1:50.

RLDavies
851833.  Sat Oct 01, 2011 9:51 am Reply with quote

When I noticed this thread and tried to remember the QI theme tune, what first popped up in my brain's internal music player was the theme tune for The Good Life. Oddly, although they don't sound anything alike, there is some sort of resemblance. Maybe just because they both have a chime-like sound.

The Blackadder theme tune also came up briefly during my search. No idea why. Maybe it was just blocking the way.

zomgmouse
851841.  Sat Oct 01, 2011 10:20 am Reply with quote

RLDavies wrote:
The Blackadder theme tune also came up briefly during my search. No idea why. Maybe it was just blocking the way.

Both were written by Howard Goodall.

CB27
851925.  Sat Oct 01, 2011 4:16 pm Reply with quote

Howard Goodall is incredibly unknown to a lot of people considering how much influence he's had on so many TV shows and various productions. A couple of years back he did a programme about different styles of music and I was impressed with how he was able to show these different styles while talking about them, it's a rare gift.

Spud McLaren
851928.  Sat Oct 01, 2011 4:32 pm Reply with quote

I've wanted the DVD of that series for ages, and your post prompted me to see if it had been published yet. No such luck, although I did learn from Amazon UK that Howard Goodall's Organ Works.

Sadurian Mike
851994.  Sun Oct 02, 2011 4:13 am Reply with quote

Can he entertain with it, though?

(Radio 2 reference there).

RLDavies
852060.  Sun Oct 02, 2011 6:19 am Reply with quote

zomgmouse wrote:
RLDavies wrote:

Both were written by Howard Goodall.

I doubt that's the reason! Because (a) I didn't know that, and (b) I don't tend to categorise music by composer anyway.

italic eyeball
965025.  Mon Jan 21, 2013 5:44 pm Reply with quote

True that the theme tune seems to have a few recognisable features from other's posts here. I'd honestly thought it was an instrumental reimagining of The Specials' Do Nothing. Some notes are just meant to be together I suppose.

Jenny
965059.  Mon Jan 21, 2013 10:54 pm Reply with quote

I didn't remember that tune, so I found it on YouTube:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mSgnNVGnJ6s

I can hear that the beat is very similar, but I can't see any real resemblance in the tune.

Awitt
965062.  Mon Jan 21, 2013 11:38 pm Reply with quote

Quote:
Howard Goodall's Organ Works.

Wouldn't be much use if it didn't.

Mr. Hooper
1289676.  Tue Jul 10, 2018 5:23 pm Reply with quote

The QI theme music always seemed very familiar to me, and today I finally figured out where I had heard it before. The melody is the same as the chorus from David Letterman's "Late Night Anthem" from 1985. Specifically, the lines "It's a late night world. It's a world that we can share."

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=rpWyhHKLAAU

The chorus starts at the 1:36 mark.

suze
1289679.  Tue Jul 10, 2018 5:37 pm Reply with quote

I'd have to say that I'm not seeing the similarity.

I was not previously familiar with Late Night Anthem, but it reminds me more of Ralph McTell's Streets of London than anything else.

GuyBarry
1289693.  Wed Jul 11, 2018 3:42 am Reply with quote

Oh there's a definite similarity - the melodic contour is the same in the first line and the start of the second, though the rhythm is different. The end of the second line is different though.

Spud McLaren
1289706.  Wed Jul 11, 2018 5:12 am Reply with quote

I really cannot see that it's the same melody. They both have the same descending bass/chord structure, so this limits the melody notes to go with them (unless you're Stan Kenton). In those circs, there is likely to be a basic similarity in melodies. Yes, one melody will often remind you of another, and that's often why.

Must confess, though, that Late Night Anthem would not have made me mentally jump to the QI theme. My synapses are evidently more similar in that respect to suze's than to Guy's and Mr Hooper's.

Page 5 of 7
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next