View previous topic | View next topic

Altogether different.... Coca Cola

Page 1 of 1

Peter Anthony
1303126.  Wed Nov 14, 2018 4:21 am Reply with quote

Has Q.I. ever discussed "What is the flavour in Coca Cola?"
Just FYI, it is the combination of cinnamon and vanilla in just the right proportions to make it seem something else.. Not fictitious "Cola Nuts".
Now you know, it's obvious.!

Bondee
1303135.  Wed Nov 14, 2018 5:07 am Reply with quote

Peter Anthony wrote:
Not fictitious "Cola Nuts".

The kola nut, on the other hand...

suze
1303248.  Wed Nov 14, 2018 11:59 am Reply with quote

It is interesting that Peter identifies cinammon and vanilla as the primary flavours in Coca-Cola. I discover that a lot of people agree with that, and the company has more or less admitted that extract of vanilla plays a part in the secret recipe.

But to me, orange is the primary flavour. Again, a lot of people agree with me, although it is not one of the ingredients to which the company nearly admitted in an ad which aired during the Superbowl a few years back.

Some have it that rather than actual orange juice, the orange-like ingredient is essence of neroli, which is an essential oil extracted from the Seville orange tree (the tree which grows the oranges used to make marmalade). Essence of neroli is widely used in perfume making, but I might question two things. For one, it's rather expensive, and for two, you'd think that the perfume industry would know all about it if vast quantities of an essential oil were being bought by a secretive Atlanta-based organization for a purpose other than perfumery. Which it doesn't.

Jenny
1303439.  Thu Nov 15, 2018 10:53 am Reply with quote

They've probably worked out how to make a synthetic version.

Alexander Howard
1309272.  Sun Jan 06, 2019 9:00 am Reply with quote

There is an obvious question about the formula, which has an answer here:

https://www.forbes.com/sites/quora/2016/05/03/what-analytical-chemistry-can-tell-us-about-coca-colas-recipe/#15c5c2cd4f74

Page 1 of 1