View previous topic | View next topic

Misuse of Words and Phrases

Page 2 of 6
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Ameena
80478.  Wed Jul 19, 2006 8:43 am Reply with quote

Something that bugs me along with pronouncing "specific" as "pacific" is the pronunciation of "escape" as "excape", and also "skeleton" as "skellington". Arrrgghh /kill.
Something my sister and her BF keep saying is "I'm not being funny, but...". As far as I'm concerned this phrase is something which is interchangable with phrases such as "No offence, but..." or "I don't mean to be rude, but...". Yet they just use it liberally in conversations and entirely out of this context. The amount they use it really bugs me...

tetsabb
80489.  Wed Jul 19, 2006 9:16 am Reply with quote

"With all due respect..."

Tas
80498.  Wed Jul 19, 2006 9:39 am Reply with quote

I love hearing that phrase, as I just KNOW that what will follow will be disrespectful, allowing me to answer with the full command of the language at my disposal and damn politeness!

:-)

Tas

Feroluce
80505.  Wed Jul 19, 2006 10:08 am Reply with quote

Language doesn't get the same respeck it used to if you axe me.

Feroluce
80506.  Wed Jul 19, 2006 10:11 am Reply with quote

One of our marketing bods smugly pronounces at every opportunity that we have to 'leverage market research'.

In my opinion, they're three random words.

Ameena
80510.  Wed Jul 19, 2006 10:18 am Reply with quote

How the smeg is "leverage" even a verb?!

Flash
80512.  Wed Jul 19, 2006 10:28 am Reply with quote

The same way 'smeg' is even a word - because people use it that way.

Ameena
80515.  Wed Jul 19, 2006 10:34 am Reply with quote

Yeah, but smeg's made up (even if it was taken from an already-existing word)..."Leverage" is a noun...well I suppose, give it fifty years or so, most of the words we know today will have mutated completely in their use, as is the way with language. Kinda weird how some words chaneg their meaning so much...I mean, how did "gay" come to mean "homosexual"?

Tas
80516.  Wed Jul 19, 2006 10:41 am Reply with quote

Quote:
I mean, how did "gay" come to mean "homosexual"?

http://www.etymonline.com/index.php?search=Gay&searchmode=none

That's how.

Tas

swot
80562.  Wed Jul 19, 2006 11:53 am Reply with quote

Feroluce wrote:
...if you axe me.

Why, why do people insist on saying that!

*bangs head against wall*

It irritates me when people say 'well' when they mean very. My younger brother and his friends say it all the time.

Robbie
80565.  Wed Jul 19, 2006 12:01 pm Reply with quote

Feroluse, I'm not sure why people in the South of England would pronounce "ask" as "axe", but in the North East, it's derrived from "acsian"; an Anglo-Saxon word.

A considerable number of people seem to think that people in the North East of England aren't speaking English properly; that they corrupt English words. However, many of the words are very closely taken from the Anglo-Saxon language which was common in the area after the Romans withdrew. Most Geordie words are more than 80% in Angle origin, as opposed to around 30% in standard English. You may hear a Geordie say "Aaal larn yer" which sounds like a corruption of "I'll learn you", but larn comes from the Anglo-Saxon "laeran", meaning to teach. Many words use the pronunciation that the Anglo-Saxons did.

Other examples which I occasionally hear (I'm from the North East) include:

"Gan", which means "go", and is an Anglo-Saxon word.
"Dede", which means "dead", which is the Anglo-Saxon pronunciation.
"Coo", meaning "cow", also the pronunciation of Anglo-Saxons.
"Hoos", meaning "house", the same pronunciation.
"Wrang", "strang" and "lang" mean "wrong", "strong" and "long" respectively.
"Bairn" meaning "child", which is Anglo-Saxon and Viking in origin.
"Beck" meaning "stream", which isn't a Geordie word, but is used in my area and is a Viking word.
"Bonny" meaning something is good looking, derrived from the French "bon".
"Bullet" meaning a sweet, French in origin.
"But" can be used to end a sentence, like a spoken full stop. It doesn't necessarily mean there's something else to say.
"Canny" meaning "quite", possibly a variation on the Scottish "ken", which means to know.
"Claes" meaning "clothes", Anglo-Saxon in origin.
"Clarty" meaning "dirty".
"Croggy" meaning to give someone a lift on a bicycle.
"Cuddy" meaning a small horse.
"Divvent" meaning don't.
"Dodd" meaning a fox.
"Dyke" meaning a ditch, Anglo-Saxon in origin.

You get the idea.

Celebaelin
80624.  Wed Jul 19, 2006 7:16 pm Reply with quote

Well, it's been a long time since I was anywhare near RP but since in my best public school voice I suspect I'd tell you that 'shuyurly yu no hau two enunseeate' I guess you'd know what chinless implies.

<E> Typo

Last edited by Celebaelin on Thu Jul 20, 2006 6:05 am; edited 1 time in total

Feroluce
80636.  Thu Jul 20, 2006 3:11 am Reply with quote

Tas wrote:
Quote:
I mean, how did "gay" come to mean "homosexual"?

http://www.etymonline.com/index.php?search=Gay&searchmode=none

That's how.

Tas

I was under the impression that 'gay' was originally an acronym for 'good as you', which was plastered on plackards during protest marches in San Francisco.

I suppose it makes perfect sense that the acronym was created to fit the word rather than the other way around.

I've noticed recently that the word 'gay' doesn't mean a general homosexual (don't ask, don't tell) anymore. It seems to refer specifically to a camp homosexual, or a camp hetrosexual for that matter.

The differentiation between gay and straight isn't as significant to people anymore.

Southpaw
80652.  Thu Jul 20, 2006 3:59 am Reply with quote

Quote:
How the smeg is "leverage" even a verb?!

Words are being 'verbed' all the time. Remember when access was something you had? Now it's something you do.

Snoogans
80656.  Thu Jul 20, 2006 4:10 am Reply with quote

One that reduces me to an axe-wielding psychopath is the seemingly all-pervading belief that a small and strong coffee is an "expresso".
And Americans being "Burglarised", makes me quite cross...

Page 2 of 6
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next