View previous topic | View next topic

Series P - Peril. Specifically aluminium foil uses

Page 1 of 1

AndyGondorf
1299665.  Sat Oct 20, 2018 5:40 pm Reply with quote

Good evening ladies and gents.

Was watching the XL version of the episode "Peril" tonight when I saw the reference to aluminium foil uses. All seemed feasible enough with the exception of "cutting through layers of foil can sharpen scissors"

Any decent sources of experimental data on this, or even theoretical reasons it might work?

A couple of points that I did consider:

a) aluminium metal has a Brinell scale value of 15 (I seriously doubt kitchen foil is a hard aluminium alloy, but even then that's 75) versus mild steel of 120 or stainless at 200

b) granted, aluminium in our atmosphere has a (very) thin layer of oxide, and aluminum oxide is incredibly hard (annoyingly, we're changing scales here since Brinell testing is apparently on on metals/metalloids?? Someone correct me please).
However, the cutting edge will still be working at 90 degrees to the layer of oxide as far as I can see, so this should result in a even blunter pair of scissors?

c) my, admittedly limited, understanding of sharpening involves an abrasive surface grinding away material at some acute angle to the cutting edge.

d) wet aluminium foil can be used to polish steel (see b above) but surely not enough material is being removed to change the cutting edge angle. Maybe people see the shinier metal and assume it's sharper?

Yours,

Andy Gondorf

Jenny
1299744.  Sun Oct 21, 2018 4:38 pm Reply with quote

Hi Andy and welcome to the forums. I'll repost your question in the 'Need help' thread in General Banter, where it's likely to get more views.

AndyGondorf
1299748.  Sun Oct 21, 2018 5:21 pm Reply with quote

Jenny wrote:
Hi Andy and welcome to the forums. I'll repost your question in the 'Need help' thread in General Banter, where it's likely to get more views.

Thanks Jenny, you're a star.

crissdee
1299765.  Mon Oct 22, 2018 3:39 am Reply with quote

Response posted in "Need Help".

Page 1 of 1