View previous topic | View next topic

Scenes we can expect post-Brexit

Page 1 of 4
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

tetsabb
1298714.  Fri Oct 12, 2018 2:30 pm Reply with quote

Lucretia Smyth-Boland gets to Heathfield in East Sussex where she has heard the last pack of organic quinoa in southern England has been reported in the local Waitrose.
After a vicious struggle she gets it back to her BMW X5 and sets off home to Esher.
Unfortunately she runs out of fuel and is eaten by feral Media Studies students near Redhill, before her husband can get to her with diesel.
The fate of the quinoa is unknown.

 
GuyBarry
1298718.  Fri Oct 12, 2018 2:43 pm Reply with quote

That might be fiction, but this is fact:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-45827197

 
Alexander Howard
1298740.  Sat Oct 13, 2018 2:38 am Reply with quote

I've never understood the scenarios the doom-merchants outline. Yes, they need to be listened to, and high-up policy makers will usually forget to deal with practical detail. But -

If imports of anything stop because of new customs duties or checks, that's a totally self-inflicted wound: it just needs HMG not to impose duties, or to say "if it's got an E-mark we'll trust it today as we did yesterday". Problem solved.

 
crissdee
1298745.  Sat Oct 13, 2018 3:52 am Reply with quote

But that would involve the application of commonsense, a commodity that is always in short supply in government.

 
barbados
1298746.  Sat Oct 13, 2018 3:56 am Reply with quote

I think there has just been a sudden rise in doomsday preppers Alexander.

 
tetsabb
1298790.  Sat Oct 13, 2018 1:09 pm Reply with quote

So, a little light-hearted satire is not permitted,then?

 
barbados
1298833.  Sun Oct 14, 2018 3:35 am Reply with quote

There we have it suze.....
GuyBarry wrote:
That might be fiction, but this is fact:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-45827197
Your request was so someone to bring you a positive from Brexit.
It's only taken since 1988 for there to be any movement on this, but finally it's happening

 
suze
1298866.  Sun Oct 14, 2018 8:32 am Reply with quote

It's rather a double-edged - if not multi-edged - benefit, but you have indeed identified a positive impace of leaving the European Union.

Excuse me while I recalibrate myself to being merely 99.3% opposed to the whole Leaving thing.

 
tetsabb
1298899.  Sun Oct 14, 2018 12:47 pm Reply with quote

From The Kent Bugle, March 2019

"Yes, I voted 'remain '," said Fifi Hornybuns (not her real name), " So I guess some would see it as hypocritical of me to profit from Brexit, but after years of Austerity I need to make every pound I can"

She was speaking aftér announcing plans by the English Collective of Prostitutes Ashford and Maidstone Branxh to provide a great service to any drivers of foreign lorries who get stuck for hours or days in the stacks on the M20.

"Poor guys are likely to start feeling quite lonely quite quickly,
and we aim to provide them some of the comforts of home," said Fifi from hee luxurious apartment in Ashford.

" We will be monitoring the news, and websites like Kent Police and Highways England, and when the queues start to build we will provide a presence as quickly as possible.
"Many of the girls and boys have now bought wireless credit card readers, as they appreciate that many of these.guys may be getting low on cash.
"Of course, being mobile means that some services may not be available, particularly those that involve equipment, but one can always slip a set of handcuffs or leather straps in a handbag"

Fifi would not be drawn on whether prices would be the same for these customers as if she was 'entertaining' them at her home. But she did say they were in contact with their brothers and sisters in Sevenoaks in case the M26 is used as a holding area for lorries as well.

 
barbados
1298926.  Sun Oct 14, 2018 4:47 pm Reply with quote

suze wrote:
It's rather a double-edged - if not multi-edged - benefit, but you have indeed identified a positive impace of leaving the European Union.

Excuse me while I recalibrate myself to being merely 99.3% opposed to the whole Leaving thing.

I do have a friend who seems to think this is not a benefit, mind you as far as I can tell he isn't aware of the issues that are causes by operation stack, and while there will no doubt be some inconvenience from the lorries being held on the M26 having to travel one further junction around the M25, coupled with the improved release procedures it is far more preferable to the current method

 
suze
1298932.  Sun Oct 14, 2018 5:20 pm Reply with quote

It was utter, utter incompetence on the part of the government which caused the proposed lorry park near M20 J11 to be canceled (after its construction was supposed to have been completed). To cut a long story short, the government did not commission an Environmental Impact Survey re the planned lorry park, apparently believing that it didn't need to do one. When some NIMBYs took that to court and got the court to agree that it did, the government then canceled the project.

The M26 idea has been floating around for a couple of years, but has only really gotten into gear in the last week or so. But the bit which is causing local ructions is that Chris Grayling apparently lied to local MPs about the current night time closures of the M26.

Both Michael Fallon (Con, Sevenoaks) and Tom Tugendhat (Con, Tonbridge and Malling) say that they were promised that there wouldn't be any, only a few days before they started happening. Mr Tugendhat also believes that the works on the M26 require planning permission and don't have it, and says that no one is willing to explain this matter to him.

Those are the multiple edges, but in general I do agree with you on this particular issue.

 
barbados
1298938.  Mon Oct 15, 2018 12:53 am Reply with quote

I have to say, I wasn't aware of the reason for the lorry park not happening. I've been following the story, but not that closely as all stack does to me currently is cause inconvenience. I thought it was nimbyism.
I'm not at all sure what the fuss over the M26 resolution is, it is probably the most common sense solution, there is (now) a three lane motorway route past the car park which has to be a better solution. Why Mr Fallon and Mr Tugendhat ever thought the work could be done without night time closures defies logic. Although the plannin permission question is of interest, basically all that is happening is two sections of armco are being replaced with retractable sections, and two channels are being cut in the central reservation. When did that require planning permission?

 
suze
1298975.  Mon Oct 15, 2018 9:39 am Reply with quote

barbados wrote:
I thought it was nimbyism.


As indeed it was, albeit indirectly rather than in the way you'd imagined. The proposed lorry park fell within the constituency of Damian Collins (Con, Folkestone and Hythe), and Mr Collins has said a couple times that he expects the idea of a lorry park at that location to be revived at some point. Not within the current financial year though, because there's no budget for it.

barbados wrote:
Why Mr Fallon and Mr Tugendhat ever thought the work could be done without night time closures defies logic.


Well yes it does, although there is a question to be answered as why Chris Grayling's people told both of them that there wouldn't be any. Now OK, the most likely answer to that question is "They screwed up" rather than "They deliberately gave false information", but I can see why the two MPs find it unsatisfactory.

barbados wrote:
When did that require planning permission?


My initial thought was like yours, that Mr Tugendhat was clutching at straws with this one - but he actually may not be. As we all know, it is ordinarily illegal to park on a designated motorway. That doesn't make Operation Stack illegal, because there is a piece of legislation - the Town and Country Planning (Operation Stack) Special Development Order - which allows the relevant part of the M20 to be declared temporarily a car park rather than a highway.

But creating a car park is a change of use of land, and as such it requires planning permission. Which has not been sought, let alone granted.

 
barbados
1299018.  Tue Oct 16, 2018 1:11 am Reply with quote

The Town and Country Planning (Operation Stack) Special Development Order is a short term resolution (it expired in 2016) to the problem by, indeed, provding for a freight lorry park, and the location of that area is very specific. It's Manstone Airfield, with the aim of taking the car park off of the M20.

I guess we are both on the same side in this, - that is the M20 is the wrong place for this, however I would suggest that what will happen is a temporary closure of the M26 entry and exit slip causing a managed traffic jam rather than a lorry park - and you don't need planning for a traffic jam ;)

 
suze
1299086.  Tue Oct 16, 2018 7:12 am Reply with quote

It turns out that the Special Development Order has been extended twice, most recently by the Town and Country Planning (Operation Stack) Special Development (Amendment) Order 2017. It's now valid until 31 Dec 2019.

But as you say, all it actually does is grant planning permission for the former Manston Airport to be used as a car park. Thanet District Council doesn't especially like it, and the permission was granted in this unorthodox way precisely because of the possibility that Thanet DC - at one time controlled by UKIP, as you will be aware - would have declined to grant planning permission in the conventional way. The Manston Airport site has not, in fact, at any time been used in the way authorised.

So is Tom talking out of his Tugendhat? Quite possibly, but if he wants to come here and tell us precisely what he considers to need planning permission that it doesn't have, he is most welcome.

 

Page 1 of 4
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

All times are GMT - 5 Hours


Display posts from previous:   

Search Search Forums

Powered by phpBB © 2001, 2002 phpBB Group