View previous topic | View next topic

The Venting Thread

Page 1 of 134
Goto page 1, 2, 3 ... 132, 133, 134  Next

NinOfEden
1288544.  Fri Jun 29, 2018 2:31 pm Reply with quote

Told my mum that I'm thinking of having a conservatory built, but I'm not sure if there's space in my garden for a useable room, and I'm concerned I might have to do a major garden remodel or obscure my kitchen window, which I really don't want to do. I told her there's a guy coming round next week to have a look, and I was going to have to as him about whether placement of drains and the toilet pipe would be problematic, plus clarify the current legal situation about planning permission and building close to a fence and such. She said she'd have a look first, as she was once planning a conservatory and encountered some issues that made her change her mind.
So what did she say? Oh, she had lots of helpful suggestions, along the lines of a major garden remodel or obscuring the kitchen window. And she told me that before I made any plans, I'd really have to think about the position of the toilet pipe and the drains, and look into some of the specifics of the legal stuff.
As if we hadn't just had the preceding conversation. >_<

suze
1288579.  Fri Jun 29, 2018 5:36 pm Reply with quote

On the matter of planning permission, this page gives an overview of what you can build without needing planning permission.

If the builder you speak to says something different, tactfully tell him that he might be wrong. You've no way of knowing whether he's trying it on or just ignorant of the rules, but it will be your problem and not his if he builds something which needed planning permission without getting it.

NinOfEden
1288580.  Fri Jun 29, 2018 5:45 pm Reply with quote

...So, do they ever get measured by legal people?

suze
1288581.  Fri Jun 29, 2018 5:48 pm Reply with quote

Not all that often. But if one of your neighbours happened to complain about your conservatory, a council person would come round with a tape measure.

If it were then found to be large enough that it should have had planning permission, you'd either have to get planning permission retrospectively (can be done, but can be expensive), or take the extension down. Neither is ideal.

NinOfEden
1288582.  Fri Jun 29, 2018 6:04 pm Reply with quote

Aah! So it's not worth just adding another foot or so and hoping no-one will notice?

suze
1288584.  Fri Jun 29, 2018 6:22 pm Reply with quote

I would advise against!

Our house does actually have an extension which was built without planning permission. The last owner but two had it put up in about 1985, which is why we come to have an ensuite bathroom and a little balcony from our bedroom looking over the garden.

The law is that once such an extension has been in place for four years, anyone who complains about it is out of time and the extension is allowed to stay. No one complained about the one at our house, so it stayed.

You may have seen pieces on TV about people who have built luxury houses without planning permission, and have hidden them inside barns (barns on farmland never need planning permission, provided that they are not suitable for people to live in) or even in one case inside a haystack. Those people intended to hide the new building for four years and then tell anyone who complained "Sod off, too late". I dare say some people have even gotten away with such stunts.

But I wouldn't recommend it.

NinOfEden
1288585.  Fri Jun 29, 2018 6:38 pm Reply with quote

Yeah, there's definitely no room for a barn in my garden.

Awitt
1288591.  Fri Jun 29, 2018 10:13 pm Reply with quote

On school holidays now, with the pay due next week and I have to also still report for my welfare payment next Thursday. After initially thinking I can't access the school payslip from home to see the amount I'm getting (that I need for reporting for the welfare) I find out I can but only the net pay is shown and I have to report gross pay, and I don't know how much tax will be deducted because last time it was more than usual. This time it'll probably be less but this figure isn't shown in the main menu.

And because of a Javascript error on my home laptop, I can't download the payslip to get all these figures. I've just checked it and updated/reinstalled it but it still doesn't work, so I'll have to go to a library somewhere and see if I can download and print off the payslip.

If I do my online reporting next week without the tax deducted included, I'll possibly incur a debt that will have to be paid back as soon as it's realised by the Govt which is often rather quick, when they drag their feet on deciding other issues.

And I can't enter a magazine's puzzle entry online that I normally can either, with that system not seeming to work so have to post that one by snail mail.

suze
1288595.  Sat Jun 30, 2018 1:38 am Reply with quote

Up far too early today, because today's cricketing is in a far flung corner of the county of Kent. Few people would name Thanet as their favourite part of the county, but at least we shall have a nice day for it.

The people out back who have the loud parties did that thing last night. Or rather, are doing that thing last night; as I write at 0737, they haven't collapsed in a drunken heap and gone to bed as yet, and the music is still playing.

Snowywebb
1288597.  Sat Jun 30, 2018 1:45 am Reply with quote

Awitt wrote:

And because of a Javascript error on my home laptop, I can't download the payslip to get all these figures. I've just checked it and updated/reinstalled it but it still doesn't work, so I'll have to go to a library somewhere and see if I can download and print off the payslip.

If your internet browser is set to block 3rd party cookies that could be the source of your problem.

swot
1288606.  Sat Jun 30, 2018 3:57 am Reply with quote

Is it possible to die from sciatica? Because I think I might die from sciatica.

NinOfEden
1288609.  Sat Jun 30, 2018 4:18 am Reply with quote

swot wrote:

I used to have that. You won't believe what cured me: wishful thinking. No, seriously. I spent half an hour or so every night for about a month just wishing, really hard, that it would go away - and I've had no trouble for about a decade, except, even more weirdly, when I've tried the same method on something else.

Snowywebb
1288611.  Sat Jun 30, 2018 4:30 am Reply with quote

swot wrote:

My doctor prescribed a course of cortozone (anti-inflammatory medication) pills, high dose for a couple of days, then reducing to zero over the next week.

The relief was almost immediate.

Efros
1288616.  Sat Jun 30, 2018 4:45 am Reply with quote

Prednisone is possibly the best drug I have ever taken, I was on it for about two weeks. My eczema cleared up, my joints didn't hurt, there was a spring in my step, felt bloody marvelous. Unfortunately it has lasting, damaging secondary effects, also I had to be tailed off it over the course of 5 days.

Awitt
1288624.  Sat Jun 30, 2018 6:35 am Reply with quote

Snowywebb wrote:
Awitt wrote:

If your internet browser is set to block 3rd party cookies that could be the source of your problem.

Because of issues I've had with not totally understanding things in the past, I may have had this done or set, and now strike trouble with things like this payslip. I'll try at a couple of libraries during the week, I have until Thursday to access it and view the payslip.

Page 1 of 134
Goto page 1, 2, 3 ... 132, 133, 134  Next