View previous topic | View next topic

How was your day?

Page 162 of 170
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 161, 162, 163 ... 168, 169, 170  Next

tetsabb
1340877.  Mon Jan 20, 2020 3:58 am Reply with quote

My experience is somewhat akin to PDR. I have my review next week. I have not been a Good Boy over recent weeks....

barbados
1340881.  Mon Jan 20, 2020 4:57 am Reply with quote

Tom Watson had a similar experience, removing sugar from his diet is said to have reversed his diabetes to the extent he no longer takes metformin

AlmondFacialBar
1340898.  Mon Jan 20, 2020 8:27 am Reply with quote

Awitt wrote:
I've seen stories of women getting what's called gestational diabetes that only affects them while pregnant.

That happened to several women of my acquaintance and as if that didn't suck enough (it can go all the way to temporary insulin dependence), it also puts them at a higher risk of developing Type 2 diabetes later in life. No fun at all.

:-)

AlmondFacialBar

PDR
1340903.  Mon Jan 20, 2020 9:31 am Reply with quote

suze wrote:
Thanks PDR. I learned a couple of things from that quite apart from the PDR Theory of Diabetes which is not endorsed by the official medical profession!

I have suggested (a few times) that a medical researcher might want to take this up, because I came to this conclusion driven by the data. The data don't lie but they can be misunderstood/misinterpretted/abused/taken-out-of-context and I emphasise that I don't know enough about the subject toi understamnd whether I'm doing any of those.

What I did was I tried to model it as a dynamic system, lookimg to fi nd a model that aligned with the observations. The only one that got even vaguely close was a strongly damped, high-inertia model. The real-world meaning of that would be a pancreas which WILL deliver high amounts of insulin, but takes a while to ramp-up delivery rates. The strong damping term was needed because there seemed to be no corresponding overshoot once the glucose had all been metabolised (which would manifest as a dramatic plumet in BG as the pancreas only slowly ramps down the release of insulin into a glucose-exhausted bloodstream.

But there could be other biochemical/metabolic explanations for these observations - I just don't know enough to be in any way authorittative. If there was a panxit then I'd be a classic leave panxit campaigner...

PDR

crissdee
1340933.  Mon Jan 20, 2020 2:02 pm Reply with quote

On my to-do list today was, "start looking for paid employment". Thus, after a swift Google to find my local Jobcentre, I presented myself there, bright of eye and bushy of tail. What I found however is that, despite calling themselves JobCentrePlus in big yellow letters over the door, they can do nothing to actually help me find a job beyond recommending websites. When I first went to such a place, there were actual cards in racks, each detailing an existing vacancy, and one could take said card to a receptionist, who would make the initial call and broker an interview with the person looking for an employee. That, imho, is the function of a JobCentre. What these new offices should be called is another question, perhaps best not answered in mixed company!

Anywho, having ticked that off my metaphorical list, I sallied forth in search of lunch and lavatory, in no particular order. Finding both in one establishment, I placed an order for fish finger sandwiches, made my toilette, and seated myself. As is the way with such places, a radio was playing in the backgrund, tuned to Radio Two. In my youth, Radio One was for the young and rebellious, whilst Radio Two was for the music your parents liked. So it was something of a surprise to be serenaded, courtesy of Ken Bruce, with Teenage Kicks. I suppose that Radios One and Two simply stay in their age bracket, while their listeners bring their music with them, and in twenty or thirty years we will tune to Radio Two for Billie Eilish and Justin Bieber. What dreadful cacophony Radio One will be playing I shudder to think.

Having sated myself, I went on to a well known German bargain store to browse their middle aisle. I found a twin pack of pouches for those fancy car key fobs that simply need to be near the car to open it. They looked about the right size for my phone, and they were less than 5 for the two, so I thought I would take a punt on a pair. Getting home, I found (of course) that they were about 3mm too small to fit! Ah well, I thought, I can use them for something else. Turnng them over, I discovered they were not fitted with belt loops of any kind, so that all they really served to do was make the thing in your pocket or bag a little bigger and more inconvenient to carry. ??????????

One last observation. Passing through Llandrindod Wells station, I chanced to look through the window of the waiting room. Now, I did not expect cut glass chandeliers and chesterfield sofas, with fine art on the walls, but they had started the decor with "austere" in mind and erred on the side of caution at all stages. I have looked into actual prison cells no less decorative! One single colour of paint on walls and ceiling, plain wooden bench, and not so much as a timetable on the wall to break the monotony. Winston Smith had more carefree frivolity in his life than was to be found in that room!

Awitt
1340945.  Mon Jan 20, 2020 4:54 pm Reply with quote

Quote:
What I found however is that, despite calling themselves JobCentrePlus in big yellow letters over the door, they can do nothing to actually help me find a job beyond recommending websites.

The Australian system is such now that one has to be on unemployment benefits when it is then compulsory to attend such a place, but many people find it a waste when the consultants merely go over what they already know (the ones I had were in their 20's and talked down to me as though I was dumb, which I'm sensitive about anyway)

And the majority of people I've seen here find their own jobs, yet the consultancy firm wants the employer's details to constantly annoy them with calls, to get a slice of the Government pie that is funding.

suze
1340953.  Mon Jan 20, 2020 6:38 pm Reply with quote

crissdee wrote:
What I found however is that, despite calling themselves JobCentrePlus in big yellow letters over the door, they can do nothing to actually help me find a job beyond recommending websites.

I seem to remember that you have previous experience of Universal Jobmatch, the DWP's own system full of job ads. It was scrapped in 2018, with the government and the recruitment firm Monster which ran the system blaming one another for its various failings, but it has been replaced by something called Find A Job. (findajob.dwp.gov.uk, deliberately not formatted as a link.)

If you were actually to sign on for Jobseeker's Allowance / Universal Credit (whichever is currently in use in your area) you might be encouraged to sign up with Find A Job. Under Universal Jobmatch it was claimed as compulsory for claimants to do so (although with no statutory backing), but that is not the case with Find A Job because the DWP accepted that compulsion might struggle with GDPR and chose not to jump through the necessary hoops.

That said, there's probably no actual harm in signing up with it - although the jobs advertised there are probably all the same agency positions that may or may not actually exist which are advertised on all the other job websites. (It is illegal to advertise jobs which don't exist, but this does not mean that it never happens.)

NinOfEden
1340959.  Mon Jan 20, 2020 7:24 pm Reply with quote

crissdee wrote:
I suppose that Radios One and Two simply stay in their age bracket, while their listeners bring their music with them, and in twenty or thirty years we will tune to Radio Two for Billie Eilish and Justin Bieber. What dreadful cacophony Radio One will be playing I shudder to think.

The odd times I've been subjeted to chart music in the last decade or so, it's been painful to listen to. It was as if someone had deliberately tried to make the most irritating noise possible.
0/10, would not reccomend.

Awitt
1341066.  Wed Jan 22, 2020 2:33 am Reply with quote

Well, a short drive home from a friend after a coffee date turned interesting at the local intersection, after a man who I initially thought may have been drug affected - he seemed to have a vacant gaze - ambled across the pedestrian crossing.

We were stopped for him, and he suddenly stepped on top of the bonnet of the car in front of us and stomped on the windscreen, shattering it. (though it didn't break - safety glass, just cracked)

Woman's son got out and pursued this man, who was also barefoot and had a distinct rash on his back.

My friend pulled over further up and went to see what he could do, ended up giving a witness statement to the police. I just saw the man walking around the corner.

He is known to police and medical centres, having an approximate age of ten, though the size and strength of a man.

crissdee
1341106.  Wed Jan 22, 2020 2:37 pm Reply with quote

So, after my unexpected stay in hopital fom Thusday to Sunday, they wanted me back on Tuesday for a quick follow-up examination.

I have just got back home from that.

Yes, it is Wednesday.

I turned up about 12.30 on Tuesday, no appointment they said, just first come first served. Finally seen about 3.00pm. Blood sugar still high, so they wheel me into a cubicle in the Critical assesment unit, where they proceed to connect me to no less than three drips, and check my blood sugar every hour, so sleep is out of the question. As far as I can see, my results would serve to back up PDR's model as expalined above. All Tuesday's tests were high, because they allowed me to eat. After 10pm, when they would stop serving food, my levels dropped, until at 7am they were near normal and remained so until 10am (during which time I was nil by mouth awaiting an ultrasound. After the scan, I was allowed to eat, and (surprrise, surprise) my levels shot up again. This puzzled them so much that I sepent the rest of today being tested, and explaining every relevant aspect of the last ten years of my life, to half a dozen different doctors (who apparently don't talk to each other) including one who took the fact that I had brought a flask of hot chocolate with me, and extrapolated that into the idea that I was the single largest consummer of hot chocolate in Powys!
Every single one of them required personal confirmation that I have never yet been actually diagnosed as diabetic, I have no record of diabetes, nor do I have any baseline dosage of insulin from which they could extrapolate a future schedule.
Finally, about 4pm today, I asked if I might be allowed home. They didn't want to send me home with my level as high as it was, but could offer no practical method of reducing it. I pointed out that, if that was the case, I would be doomed to remain sleeping on a trolley, in the clothes I had put on yesterday, while paying to heat a fecking house 45 miles away.
They eventually saw sense and allowed me home, but I fear there will be much more of the same ere this is sorted.

suze
1341165.  Thu Jan 23, 2020 1:25 pm Reply with quote

When I got home today, there were half a dozen pieces of unwanted paper on the mat. I shall chastise the good husband for not having disposed of them already, but alongside the usual flyers for pizzas and bad builders (good builders don't need to advertise in this way) was one I hadn't seen before.

I expect we've all had plastic sacks shoved through the door, inviting us to fill them with our surplus clothes. These will supposedly be shipped to less developed countries, although somewhere in very small writing we are told that the company is not a charity. In any case, the sacks don't usually get collected on the day specified, if at all.

But now, there is a company in Gillingham which will pay for your surplus clothes - although no plastic sack, and you actually have to take your items to their site in Gillingham.

It pays 60p per kilo, although the small print tells us that shoes don't count towards the weight and will be redeemed at 30p per pair. It's 30p per kilo for "sari's (sic) and African clothes". No curtain's (sic).

What is the target market here? I'd need to put together quite a big bundle of surplus clothing just to pay for the trip two towns away and back, and I'd be surprised if all the clothing that I own would amount to the sum that I expect for an hour's work.

Perhaps they're expecting someone to wander around a residential neighborhood and steal all those plastic sacks that haven't been collected.

crissdee
1341166.  Thu Jan 23, 2020 1:35 pm Reply with quote

I did something similar from my flat in East London, only because the place offering 70p/kilo (iirc) was within a two minute walk of the flat, so the 7 quid I made from old company uniform gear was 100% profit.

AlmondFacialBar
1341168.  Thu Jan 23, 2020 1:59 pm Reply with quote

suze wrote:
When I got home today, there were half a dozen pieces of unwanted paper on the mat. I shall chastise the good husband for not having disposed of them already, but alongside the usual flyers for pizzas and bad builders (good builders don't need to advertise in this way) was one I hadn't seen before.

I expect we've all had plastic sacks shoved through the door, inviting us to fill them with our surplus clothes. These will supposedly be shipped to less developed countries, although somewhere in very small writing we are told that the company is not a charity. In any case, the sacks don't usually get collected on the day specified, if at all.

But now, there is a company in Gillingham which will pay for your surplus clothes - although no plastic sack, and you actually have to take your items to their site in Gillingham.

It pays 60p per kilo, although the small print tells us that shoes don't count towards the weight and will be redeemed at 30p per pair. It's 30p per kilo for "sari's (sic) and African clothes". No curtain's (sic).

What is the target market here? I'd need to put together quite a big bundle of surplus clothing just to pay for the trip two towns away and back, and I'd be surprised if all the clothing that I own would amount to the sum that I expect for an hour's work.

Perhaps they're expecting someone to wander around a residential neighborhood and steal all those plastic sacks that haven't been collected.

I suspect the good stuff of that goes to the second hand shops in Shoreditch. As for donating clothes for shipping to less developed countries - please don't. They destroy the local textile industry there.

:-)

AlmondFacialBar

Dix
1341170.  Thu Jan 23, 2020 2:24 pm Reply with quote

We found a man that came to our doorstep (when called) and paid per weight for unspecified clothes. I wasn't the one dealing with him, but he didn't reject anything, so not fussy about the state of the items. This was quite handy because we had to clear a room that a tenant had just left in a state (basically absconding from a short term let) including a lot of clothing which probably wasn't something a charity shop would take.

suze
1341190.  Thu Jan 23, 2020 6:07 pm Reply with quote

crissdee wrote:
I did something similar from my flat in East London, only because the place offering 70p/kilo (iirc) was within a two minute walk of the flat, so the 7 quid I made from old company uniform gear was 100% profit.

Well, quite. This particular company is on a business park so nobody lives a two minute walk from it, and there won't be many for whom the trip there would be worthwhile.

AlmondFacialBar wrote:
I suspect the good stuff of that goes to the second hand shops in Shoreditch. As for donating clothes for shipping to less developed countries - please don't. They destroy the local textile industry there.

The former seems very likely. I have to admit that the latter point had never occurred to me, but it's a good one. I don't put anything out in those plastic sacks anyway - if I do decide to give stuff away, I'll give it to a charity and not to a commercial organisation - but I shall now be even surer not to.

Page 162 of 170
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 161, 162, 163 ... 168, 169, 170  Next