View previous topic | View next topic

The Venting Thread

Page 207 of 210
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 206, 207, 208, 209, 210  Next

AlmondFacialBar
1390470.  Tue Sep 21, 2021 7:48 am Reply with quote

suze wrote:
AlmondFacialBar wrote:
Also, yes, Geschlechtsverkehr. No... That's certainly not a word any self-respecting German would use outside a doctor-patient relationship. The general colloquial is bumsen, the slightly ruder colloquial is vögeln, the really rude colloquial is ficken, hippies say Liebe machen and on all other occasions it's plain old Sex.

I've also heard poppen, but that may be one of those dated expressions that a real live German would just laugh at.

This is reminding me, though, of the time that I saw - ahem - an adult movie whose dialogue was in German. The lady commanded the gentleman "Ficken Sie mir", which puzzled me in two different ways. For one thing, I personally wouldn't be doing that with someone before I was even calling him du. For a second thing, mir? Is the use of the dative here a regionalism, an archaism, or just wrong?

So yeah... I just found a German (if you squint a bit) spam email in my work queue where the alleged sender begged the reader to be shagged by them and that, too, partially addressed the recipient as Sie. I suspect GT is to blame there that tends to mix du and Sie, tu and vous etc. in any language where it's possible to do so.

:-)

AlmondFacialBar

tetsabb
1390476.  Tue Sep 21, 2021 8:06 am Reply with quote

Odd that you noticed the 'dialogue' in an 'educational' video...
😉

RLDavies
1390713.  Thu Sep 23, 2021 8:00 am Reply with quote

Well, dammit. Now that my insides are starting to settle down, all attention turns to eyeballs.

My right eye has been doing something weird for the past few weeks. I'm not being coy, it's just hard to describe. It's like there's either some kind of infection or some kind of blockage in the tear duct. I've been giving it eye spray and hoping it will settle down.

But over the course of Wednesday evening it was getting progressively worse. Still can't see anything, but it feels swollen and incredibly irritated. And it's eye, so I can't take any chances.

Finally got hold of the GP -- well, the receptionist -- and they can't offer me an appointment for weeks. Their best suggestion was to leave it till this evening and phone the out-of-hours service.

PDR
1390765.  Thu Sep 23, 2021 1:53 pm Reply with quote

I mentioned that four weeks ago I did my humpty-dumpty impression and cracked some ribs. Since that time I've been taking daily pain killers (4,000mg of paracetamol and 1,200mg of ibuprofen) to manage the healing.

This morning I took my tabs and my habitual large cup of breakfast coffee. 10 minutes later I was vomiting - three times in half an hour, making me wonder if my kidney stones were back but masked by the drugs. So I called 111, actually suffering two further vomiting fits while on the hone to them, and they sent me to my GP with an appointment 90 minutes later. As an aside - repeated vomiting whilst having cracked ribs is definitely not an experience I recommend.

Doctor did examination, blood & urine tests and decided it was not a kidney issue, but was probably my stomach reacting to the sustained high levels of ibuprofen. So she prescribed anti-emetic and codeine in place of the ibuprofen (to be used only if paracetamol alone didn't cut it). She did warn me that I might suffer "ibuprofen withdrawal" - all-over aches, mild temperature and extreme fatigue.

She wasn't fucking joking! The vomiting has stopped, but I ache all over and barely have the energy to walk around the house. I really hope that the withdrawal completes tomorrow some time because this is not my idea of fun.

PDR

tetsabb
1390785.  Fri Sep 24, 2021 3:42 am Reply with quote

Sympathies to both RLD and PDR.

Surely the latter has staff who can walk around the house for him?
😉

RLDavies
1390829.  Fri Sep 24, 2021 8:26 am Reply with quote

NSAIDs like ibuprofen can tear up your stomach in sustained high doses. Be glad you didn't get an ulcer.

(I seem to be pretty resistant to that effect, which is just as well because I'm seriously allergic to paracetamol.)

As for the eye, I phoned the out-of-hours service. I fully agree with them that it's not an emergency and therefore not really something to call the out-of-hours service about. Very nice practice nurse didn't blame me, but said the GP was "very naughty" to suggest phoning them.

She recommended bathing the eye three times a day with (cooled) boiled water and a cotton wool pad, and contact the GP again if it doesn't get better. So I'm doing that. It's certainly soothing.

crissdee
1390866.  Fri Sep 24, 2021 1:17 pm Reply with quote

Noticed that I had an overdue parking ticket to be paid by midnight tonight, so I attempted to do it by phone. Three times the system did not accept the payment code, and then decided that it hadn't had ANY response, so ended the call. Fired up the 'pooter to pay it online, put in the number, and got a 404 error. Had to run over to the Post Office before it closed to get it done there.

tetsabb
1390873.  Fri Sep 24, 2021 2:23 pm Reply with quote

crissdee wrote:
Had to run over to the Post Office before it closed to get it done there.

Under the influence of cider?

crissdee
1390878.  Fri Sep 24, 2021 5:35 pm Reply with quote

No, that was before the cider! Also, I went up to the hardware shop to buy some new blades for my jigsaw as it seemed to be struggling to get through the plywood I was cutting. Got home, fitted a new blade, started the last major cut of this project, and the f*cking saw died on me! Had to go back and buy a new, better jigsaw, so swings and roundabouts really....

Jenny
1390911.  Sat Sep 25, 2021 8:54 am Reply with quote

I managed to book myself (and Woodsman) a booster covid shot on Monday, which I'm very happy about as I was hoping to get that done before I come over to your slightly more plague-ridden side of the Atlantic at the end of October. I'm having a flu shot at the same time so I anticipate taking things very quietly on Tuesday.

Efros
1390915.  Sat Sep 25, 2021 9:11 am Reply with quote

Going to have to wait until the Moderna booster is approved for mine. Not sure the wife will qualify for it.

Jenny
1390917.  Sat Sep 25, 2021 9:14 am Reply with quote

Over 65 or with a compromised immune system is what I was told. If you go on the CVS website (which is where I booked mine) that takes you through the conditions.

Last edited by Jenny on Sat Sep 25, 2021 9:15 am; edited 1 time in total

Efros
1390918.  Sat Sep 25, 2021 9:14 am Reply with quote

Yeah she is neither. Teachers, health care workers and day care workers also.

AlmondFacialBar
1391036.  Mon Sep 27, 2021 3:25 am Reply with quote

Re the German federal elections (fare thee well, Mutti, you did a decent job much as I never voted for you) - may I just mention that a party that spent their entire campaign pandering to the antimaskers and general nutjobs in a desperate search for relevance didn't only increase their overall share of the vote, but will also be the kingmaker because any feasible coalition deal bar Grand which has long outlived its sell-by date will require their participation? Oh, and they're neolibs.🤮

:-)

AlmondFacialBar

Awitt
1391661.  Sun Oct 03, 2021 12:04 am Reply with quote

Springtime, Sunday afternoon, still in lockdown here and I am over the amount of motorcycle hoons that tear past my place on a main road, doing the block, then come around again in the next half hour.
Then a group comes past in between the repeat offender.

We still have a 15 km travel limit and the essential reasons to leave home but it seems that some are exploiting it.
They aren't going from A - B for shopping etc, they're driving around all afternoon.

Meanwhile I am not allowed into the main shopping centre twice in a day by the security guards manning the sign in point.

Nor can I get on a replacement bus (trains not running from my terminus station to half way up the line due to level crosssing removal works, now delayed for two more weeks by the building industry being shut down by the state premier)

When I have my long overdue GP appointment in two weeks time I'll need proof of the appointment to travel there on the bus.

Page 207 of 210
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 206, 207, 208, 209, 210  Next