The Venting Thread

Page 206 of 209
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 205, 206, 207, 208, 209  Next

Jenny
1389299.  Wed Sep 08, 2021 11:01 am Reply with quote

Glad to hear it's better :-)

Awitt
1389352.  Wed Sep 08, 2021 9:47 pm Reply with quote

After a month of being in lockdown, my library colleague finally receives a permit to be at the main religious library on Thursdays to do a 'click and collect' service for locals or postage for others as this library is affiliated with a Catholic training organisation.

He is the only person allowed to be there.

His wife drives him across town and part of his 100 word daily writing piece goes thus:

Quote:
Drop off daughter. See a sign 'for lease'. Phone call from daughter. Her workplace is an exposure site, not sure which level just yet. Turn around to go home and get tested.

So now it's the waiting game. Under our 'tiers' of quarantine, One is where people must isolate for 14 days regardless of their Covid results. Two is where they must isolate until getting a negative result.

They are expecting a call later today from the daughter's boss, this has just been in the past 24 hours and the tier/level isn't yet known or hasn't been determined by the government.

Alexander Howard
1389646.  Mon Sep 13, 2021 3:24 am Reply with quote

The office lift is still broken, so it is a long haul up to the top floor, and with a colleague in his seventies.

Apparently the lift needs a part which is not manufactured any more, so they have to wait for a shipment.

It is a poor show when the biggest lift manufacturer in the world is just
Watching the ships roll in and watch 'em roll away again; yeah. Until the right container arrives, they're sittin' on the dock of the bay Watchin' the tide roll away.

RLDavies
1390050.  Thu Sep 16, 2021 8:09 am Reply with quote

I was going to do miracles yesterday. I was going to cut up all kinds of big boxes and get them out to the recycling bin, and then I was going to do massive amounts of work.

What I actually ended up doing all day was having food poisoning. (Chief suspect: the leftover chicken I had for dinner the night before.) Spent the entire day in bed -- when not running to the other place -- feeling awful. Eventually about 11 pm I was OK enough to have some toast and slowly sip a bottle of Huel shake.

Am now completely emptied out, but still crampy and rather subdued.

And wouldn't you know it, today is the day I have to pick up prescription refills, and I'm not up to walking a quarter-mile to the pharmacy. I'd ask my next-door neighbour if she would do me the favour, but she's not home. Currently charging up Colin's scooter -- if I do end up having to go myself, at least it won't be on foot.

Jenny
1390068.  Thu Sep 16, 2021 10:32 am Reply with quote

Oh dear...

cornixt
1390087.  Thu Sep 16, 2021 12:56 pm Reply with quote

They finally accepted that I am overloaded at work. I guess it is my fault that I can't do the work of two people, according to the guy who isn't even in charge of any of the projects I am on, nor my department. Complain to the managers who keep assigning me more important work than yours.

extremophilesheep
1390141.  Fri Sep 17, 2021 8:11 am Reply with quote

I'm clearly not an academic.

How can we, in these days of making everything accessible for everyone in order to avoid elite, still be dealing with this? I'm on a course where I now find myself struggling with an academic volume - in English! - that I have to work my way through. The course is short. The reading - half of which I suspect I will never need - will take three times as long as the course itself. The thing dares to call itself "accessible" - books telling porkies then.

Efros
1390259.  Sat Sep 18, 2021 5:19 pm Reply with quote

We have no power, sirens heard, looks like someone has had a collision with one of the power carrying poles up the road a bit.

Efros
1390260.  Sat Sep 18, 2021 6:26 pm Reply with quote

Shortly after that post our internet went bye bye, and our cell service became extremely patchy. It transpires the cause wasn't an RTA but someone having a mental crisis, setting fire to two his two vehicles outside of his house and keeping everyone at bay with a pistol and a rifle. Presumably the vehicle fire damaged overhead cables.

tetsabb
1390281.  Sun Sep 19, 2021 5:48 am Reply with quote

Efros wrote:
Shortly after that post our internet went bye bye, and our cell service became extremely patchy. It transpires the cause wasn't an RTA but someone having a mental crisis, setting fire to two his two vehicles outside of his house and keeping everyone at bay with a pistol and a rifle. Presumably the vehicle fire damaged overhead cables.

I hope that situation was resolved peacefully.

Efros
1390286.  Sun Sep 19, 2021 6:48 am Reply with quote

It seems to have been, certainly none of the local news sources are covering it which suggests it is over. In fact none of them even mention it which suggests it was all resolved without injury otherwise it would have been splashed everywhere.

tetsabb
1390293.  Sun Sep 19, 2021 8:38 am Reply with quote

Efros wrote:
otherwise it would have been splashed everywhere.

Hmmm, choice of words might have been better?
😉

Efros
1390294.  Sun Sep 19, 2021 9:14 am Reply with quote

nope deliberate!

RLDavies
1390361.  Mon Sep 20, 2021 8:47 am Reply with quote

Nearly over the food poisoning and feeling better, though not quite right. Still getting some cramps, and running to the loo more often than I ought to be. And making belches that would scare the horses. But that's all a great improvement on what it was!

Was OK enough to scooter to the pharmacy on Friday and pick up the prescription. So I missed one day, and my blood pressure probably went high that day, but never mind.

I'm WAAAAYYY behind with work now, though. Only just well enough to be getting back to it, and wouldn't you know, the second-biggest (and first-awfullest) job I do is sitting right here with a deadline ticking down. Urgh.

Alexander Howard
1390408.  Mon Sep 20, 2021 3:18 pm Reply with quote

The lift is finally back, after over a week of hauling myself up to the top floor. The engineers eventually sourced the part, and this time instead of hitting it with hammers and wondering why it breaks, the people from Otis decided to try a little tenderness.

Page 206 of 209
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 205, 206, 207, 208, 209  Next