View previous topic | View next topic

The Venting Thread

Page 205 of 209
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 204, 205, 206, 207, 208, 209  Next

Celebaelin
1388791.  Fri Sep 03, 2021 12:16 am Reply with quote

Sheesh!

How did you get those?

On a friend's 40th a bunch of us went sledging (or whatever) at an indoor ski slope; I hit the fast section with the jump on it on about my third run, parted company with the sledge and hit hard breaking a rib. I kinda wish I hadn't been sleeping on his floor that night 'cos it was far from a comfortable experience feeling the ends move against each other whenever there was any load on that side.

The bad news is there's not much anyone can do and it'll take weeks to heal (about 10-12 weeks for me on that occasion if memory serves). Stuff with lots of calcium in it may help so yogurt is #1 and perhaps some good cheese as a treat (or you could force yourself to eat Mozzarella which weight for weight has the highest calcium content apparently). You can buy calcium supplements but they're quite expensive IIRC and unsurprisingly taste like chalk. Then there's Vitamin D for the uptake and Vitamin C for collagen deposition both of which may not be a terrible idea.

The advice at https://www.webmd.com/osteoporosis/osteo-fracture-diet mentions some other stuff and suggests that you should probably avoid booze, salt and coffee if you can.

RLDavies
1388828.  Fri Sep 03, 2021 7:06 am Reply with quote

Sympathies on the ribs!

Ribs are particularly nasty since you can't do anything to support them and you've got to keep breathing. Just take it easy and keep taking the tablets.

Colin once broke a rib coughing -- this was back when he was about 40 and reasonably fit. He was lying on his side and had a sudden cough. The chest on that side couldn't move, so it cracked. This was the same "spring steel" ribcage that shattered the steering wheel in a car crash.

Jenny
1388839.  Fri Sep 03, 2021 9:26 am Reply with quote

Mega-sympathies PDR. Rest and good drugs, I guess.

Efros
1388865.  Fri Sep 03, 2021 12:43 pm Reply with quote

Not personal but this sort of stuff makes my blood boil, the inequity of the US system of healthcare is going to be this country's undoing... as well as a few other inequities.

crissdee
1388869.  Fri Sep 03, 2021 2:28 pm Reply with quote

It's funny, but of all the problems associated with my kidney transplant, and there were some, paying for the f*cking medication afterwards was not one of them!!!

American healthcare sucks big time.

AlmondFacialBar
1388871.  Fri Sep 03, 2021 2:40 pm Reply with quote

Basically, whenever I feel a blue streak coming on about the Irish healthcare system (which by European standards sucks big time), I think of the American one and suddenly everything is sunshine and blue skies again. The other day I found myself donating to a GoFundMe for a US-based friend's chemo. That should not be necessary.

:-)

AlmondFacialBar

tetsabb
1388872.  Fri Sep 03, 2021 2:41 pm Reply with quote

American healthcare is big business.
Ruthless big business.

AlmondFacialBar
1388873.  Fri Sep 03, 2021 2:49 pm Reply with quote

A wise person once said the US healthcare system isn't broken because it does exactly what it was designed to do - turn a profit for the insurers.

:-)

AlmondFacialBar

Awitt
1388878.  Fri Sep 03, 2021 5:55 pm Reply with quote

Exactly, and there are some in Aus who are worried our system under the current Federal Liberal Government is going the same way.

Back in 2013 the Labor Govt under our first female PM changed rules around the scans, xrays etc - saying that because pensioners (and the unemployed, those on the disability pension) are already getting 'taxpayers money', those same taxpayers then shouldn't be paying for the endless treatments these people need.

Cue people not going to the doctor (less bulk billing sessions), maybe getting referrals for a scan/Xray/blood test, but not having it done, worried about having to pay.
Apparently one blood test per year is covered, but subsequent ones require payment.

In about 2018 my GP ordered a 'poo scrape test' to put it bluntly and after dropping the sample off to the lab, I got an account for $20 in the mail.

Celebaelin
1388884.  Fri Sep 03, 2021 8:59 pm Reply with quote

Some nameless and unseen little insect bastard has bitten into my flesh on the outside of my right arm just above the elbow. It's itching like crazy and the thought of it is making me itch intermittently in other places out of paranoia; everywhere from my scalp to my left knee to my left buttock to the bridge of my nose to the ball of my right thumb to my nostrils and many points in between; very irritating.

barbados
1388894.  Sat Sep 04, 2021 3:28 am Reply with quote

Celebaelin wrote:
everywhere from my scalp to my left knee to my left buttock to the bridge of my nose to the ball.

I wondered where that was going for a minute there.

RLDavies
1388906.  Sat Sep 04, 2021 7:18 am Reply with quote

Michael Crichton's book Five Patients analyses the state of US healthcare in 1970, and in particular the systemic problems that arise when the entire medical system is driven by insurance companies. It was chilling then, and has only got worse.

RLDavies
1389062.  Mon Sep 06, 2021 7:12 am Reply with quote

Just a brief moan. I managed to do a Stupid Thing (tm) in my sleep and sprained my big toe. Feels like I bent it backwards and probably kept it there for a while -- I'm extremely dumb when I'm asleep and don't recognise things like being in pain.

Wow, that hurts. I put some of my knee gel on it, but it's not doing much. I can hobble around the house, but there's no way I'm walking to the shop for the paper. I can't even contemplate trying to put a shoe on that foot.

Public service information: Don't do that.

Jenny
1389193.  Tue Sep 07, 2021 10:55 am Reply with quote

That sounds really painful Robbie. Maybe change to a bed without a footboard? Woodsman is really tall and our bed has a footboard, so he sleeps with a spare pillow at his feet to stop them catching in it.

RLDavies
1389289.  Wed Sep 08, 2021 7:25 am Reply with quote

I mostly sleep on or towards my stomach, and do a lot of thrashing about, so there's plenty of opportunity for a foot to get bent upwards.

Anyway, late that same evening something went CLACK and it felt much better, so there must have been a tendon out of place. It still feels slightly bruisy, but as I said on Facebook, it's more like "ow, I stubbed my toe" rather than "dropped an axe on my foot".

Page 205 of 209
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 204, 205, 206, 207, 208, 209  Next