View previous topic | View next topic

The Pandora Puzzle

Page 1 of 1

DVD Smith
1295682.  Tue Sep 18, 2018 4:54 am Reply with quote

So the new series of QI introduces a new Elf in the credits named Pandora, under the title of "Puzzle Wrangler". She's been tweeting usual QI Elf stuff for a while now, random facts and behind-the-scenes shots from the making of the show.

However, that all changed with the broadcast of Series P episode 1. Because she appears to have a different surname every week. And adding to the mystery was Phill Jupitus wearing a "I <3 Pandora" badge on the Panimals episode.

If you go to her Twitter account, among complaints about her misspelled surname you find a link to the following website:

http://qi.com/pandora

There are 16 boxes, presumably one for each episode of the P Series. Two images have been added so far - a bird (for P-Animals) and a warning sign (for Peril). I'm guessing the "surnames" are clues towards something that will unfold over the course of the 16 weeks.

Nothing more to say, other than... the game's afoot. :D

(PS. To any Elves reading - this is amazing and brilliant and as a puzzle fan I cannot wait to try and solve this!)

dr.bob
1296401.  Wed Sep 26, 2018 5:08 am Reply with quote

DVD Smith wrote:
There are 16 boxes, presumably one for each episode of the P Series. Two images have been added so far - a bird (for P-Animals) and a warning sign (for Peril).

Pandora's surname for episode 1 (P-Animals) was "Pacelin", which is an anagram of "Pelican".

The surname for episode 2 (Peril) was "Pallift", which is an anagram of "Pitfall".

Episode 3 (Piecemeal) has now aired. The latest image is a pair of handcuffs. Pandora's surname was given as "Pelico" which is an anagram of "Police".

bobwilson
1296518.  Wed Sep 26, 2018 6:32 pm Reply with quote

This is exactly how conspiracy theories begin.............

ali
1296520.  Thu Sep 27, 2018 1:31 am Reply with quote

bobwilson wrote:
This is exactly how conspiracy theories begin.............

That's what they want you to believe...

Stineiren
1299356.  Thu Oct 18, 2018 7:15 am Reply with quote

Found the first link, but the next page confused me. Not sure how to start with that crossword, with all the words crossed out..

Stineiren
1299357.  Thu Oct 18, 2018 7:18 am Reply with quote

Stupid me, now I understood the crossed out words! Ha ha, so silly to not see it at once 😂 Trying to solve the puzzle then (I'm norwegian,not used to solve english puzzles )

ShayeWestLondon
1301048.  Tue Oct 30, 2018 6:40 am Reply with quote

Just started watching QI and love the programme (on episode 3 of P). I follow qikipedia on twitter and was alerted to the Pandora puzzle from Pandora's twitter account.
I managed to work out that the different surnames of Pandora from the first 8 episodes have special meaning and I've worked these out.

However I feel I'm missing something fundamental when trying to work out the missing letters of the link "www.qi.com/p_______".

Yes there are 16 boxes, I had assumed the full words were to be written in the boxes according to the symbol at the start. But that can't be it? And "draw each stripe" suggests something else but not sure what (currently figuring out what this even means)!
I cringe posting on here as I'm seeing that some of you have already figured it out ... So a hint, no matter how cryptic would be much appreciated :-)

DVD Smith
1301052.  Tue Oct 30, 2018 6:55 am Reply with quote

Only the first four episodes relate to the "draw each stripe" puzzle.

The orientation of the magnifying glasses is significant. :)

ShayeWestLondon
1301067.  Tue Oct 30, 2018 7:55 am Reply with quote

DVD Smith wrote:
Only the first four episodes relate to the "draw each stripe" puzzle.

The orientation of the magnifying glasses is significant. :)

I knew it! but assumed had to be something else so didn't try. Thanks I think I've got it. How very fun!

ShayeWestLondon
1301100.  Tue Oct 30, 2018 1:46 pm Reply with quote

Stineiren: Weirdly enough the second page made much more sense to me compared to the first page!
I'm enjoying this surprisingly more than I expected.
thanks to all Sx

dr.bob
1301199.  Wed Oct 31, 2018 9:40 am Reply with quote

What next? The second page just talks about "check here after October 22nd". There's an obvious 9-letter P word which is one of the "coming soon" clues, but putting that after qi.com results in a 404.

dr.bob
1301523.  Fri Nov 02, 2018 9:29 am Reply with quote

Duh! Stupid. No gold star for me :)

Page 1 of 1