View previous topic | View next topic

Demonyms

Page 1 of 1

duglasbell@hotmail.co.uk
1293717.  Thu Aug 23, 2018 11:51 am Reply with quote

A demonym is a word used to describe residents or natives of a place e.g. Liverpudlians, New Yorkers, Londoners etc. Here are some of the more irregular ones:

[/b]Monaco- Only those actually born within the boundaries can be classed as Monegasques. Anyone naturalised is a Monacan.

New York[/b]- Those from both the city and the state are called New Yorkers.

Mexico City- Known as Capitalinos, because Mexico City is the nation's capital.

Trinidad & Tobago- residents refer to themselves either as Trinidadian or Tobagonian.

Sao Tome e Principe
However, here, people are Sao Tomean, regardless of which island they're from.

Lesotho- People from this country are called Mosotho as a group; individually they are known as Bashotho.

Manchester and Oxford- Residents of these towns call themselves names derived from Latin - Mancunian and Oxonian.

Vatican City- Probably the only place in the world where there is no demonym. The country is the headquarters of the Catholic Church and 75% of the population are either priests or other clergymen and citizenship is granted upon appointment. Since a nation full of priests doesn't produce any new 'natives' there is no need for a demonym.

Barbados- People from Barbados are known informally as Bajans.

ttps://www.bathroomreader.com/2014/01/darn-demonyms/

Jenny
1293751.  Thu Aug 23, 2018 3:29 pm Reply with quote

People from Maine are often (though not always) Mainiacs. But mainly Mainers.

crissdee
1293762.  Thu Aug 23, 2018 4:01 pm Reply with quote

I saw a Polish shop in Elephant & Castle a few years ago, and a Pole I worked with told me that its name "Krakovianka" iirc, was the word for a native/resident of Krakow.

DVD Smith
1294101.  Wed Aug 29, 2018 5:23 am Reply with quote

The demonymic suffix -egian is quite rare. As far as I can find, the only places in the world that use it are Norway (the original), Glasgow, Galloway and Galway, to form Norwegian, Glaswegian, Gallowegian and Galwegian respectively.

Glasgow is the odd one out in that group since it's the only place never to have had "-way" in its name. According to a couple of sources (one of which quotes the OED), it seems that the people of Galloway took their demonym from Norway, and the people of nearby Glasgow took this demonym and portmanteau'd it to form their own. [1] [2]

The people of Tasmania used to be called Taswegians, but that term isn't used anymore. [3]

If QI ever brings back the "nobody knows" answer bonus, a good question would be "What do you call someone from Edinburgh?". Wikipedia lists the archaic words "Edinburgensian" and "Edinburger", but these are rare and you'll never hear them with the same frequency as Londoner, Liverpudlian etc. [3]

My personal favourite is Newcastle, because the demonym comes directly from the town's Latin name - people are named Novocastrians after novus castra ("new castle"). [4]

Edit: Scratch that, my favourite is Hartlepool, where the people are known as monkey hangers.

suze
1294109.  Wed Aug 29, 2018 8:08 am Reply with quote

As a near approach to another -egian, we have what might be the only demonym in -igian. It is Cantabrigian for Cambridge, although it does not properly apply to the "civilian" inhabitants of that fair city.

Persons connected to Cambridge University are Cantabrigians (or "Filthy 'Tabs" to Oxonians), and alumni of Hills Road Sixth Form College are also Cantabrigians. Before Cambridgeshire went comprehensive in 1974, the two sixth form colleges now in existence were the two grammar schools, and in the days when Olivia Newton-John's father was the headmaster there, Hills Road was Cambridgeshire High School for Boys.

I hear even very intelligent people who think that a person styled MA (Cantab) went to the University of Kent, but it is not so. A person from Canterbury is properly a Cantuarian, although I've heard Canterburger as well.

Page 1 of 1