View previous topic | View next topic

What is truth?

Page 1 of 1

Snowywebb
1292041.  Mon Aug 06, 2018 5:00 am Reply with quote

Science determines truth on the basis of the same predictable observable results for a measurable or quantifiable cause.

Faith determines truth on the basis of belief in ones own personal experience or by accepting and adopting the experience of another.

One is objective the other subjective, either can be compelling.

Can either be described as truth?

Is there such a thing as ultimate truth?

GuyBarry
1292042.  Mon Aug 06, 2018 5:02 am Reply with quote

Wow, a bit heavy for General Banter I think! I vote for a move to WFHIT.

Jenny
1292120.  Mon Aug 06, 2018 5:15 pm Reply with quote

Yes I agree - I'll move it. Interesting topic.

Awitt
1292130.  Mon Aug 06, 2018 6:34 pm Reply with quote

To me this topic is appearing in both threads.

tetsabb
1292146.  Tue Aug 07, 2018 4:40 am Reply with quote

Awitt wrote:
To me this topic is appearing in both threads.

Is that the truth?
😉

'yorz
1292151.  Tue Aug 07, 2018 4:59 am Reply with quote

There is truth, but you won't find it in religion.

Awitt
1292169.  Tue Aug 07, 2018 6:38 am Reply with quote

Tets: not any more.

Alfred E Neuman
1292171.  Tue Aug 07, 2018 6:41 am Reply with quote

That’s true.

Or is it?

Bondee
1292224.  Tue Aug 07, 2018 1:22 pm Reply with quote

I can tell you all, without a shadow of a doubt, that this is true.

GuyBarry
1292225.  Tue Aug 07, 2018 1:23 pm Reply with quote

GuyBarry wrote:
Wow, a bit heavy for General Banter I think! I vote for a move to WFHIT.

Looks like I was wrong. It should have stayed there :-)

dr.bob
1292279.  Wed Aug 08, 2018 10:37 am Reply with quote

Snowywebb wrote:
Science determines truth on the basis of the same predictable observable results for a measurable or quantifiable cause.

Faith determines truth on the basis of belief in ones own personal experience or by accepting and adopting the experience of another.

One is objective the other subjective, either can be compelling.

Can either be described as truth?

I would say no.

Science doesn't really deal in "truths". It's more concerned with theories. As you point out, it uses repeatable observed results as the basis for its theories, but that doesn't make them "true" in an absolute sense. This is demonstrated by the number of scientific theories that have been overturned in light of new information.

My views on religion are probably clear to anyone who's read various threads on these forums, so I'll let someone else tackle that if they want to.

Snowywebb wrote:
Is there such a thing as ultimate truth?

In a scientific sense, I would say yes. The universe works in a certain way. Scientific theories have become more and more accurate at describing the universe. At least, they seem to have become more and more accurate in as much as they can now describe more phenomena, and the phenomena which were already known are now described more accurately. This seems to me to imply that we're edging closer towards some kind of "absolute" truth, though there's no guarantee that we'll ever actually get there.

Jenny
1292287.  Wed Aug 08, 2018 11:59 am Reply with quote

Awitt - when I move a thread, I leave it as a 'shadow topic' in its previous forum so that people who have been reading it can see that it's been moved and where it's been moved to. As nobody can post on the shadow topic, it gradually moves down the threads onto a back page.

I think my views on the nature of truth pretty much align with dr.bob's as far as the observable universe goes. As for the human heart and mind, I think that's trickier to pin down.

Snowywebb
1292807.  Tue Aug 14, 2018 7:46 am Reply with quote

Bondee wrote:
I can tell you all, without a shadow of a doubt, that this is true.

Doesn’t introducing the possibility that a shadow of a doubt could exist mean this couldn’t be absolute truth?

Wouldn’t absolute truth simply banish ignorance as light banishes darkness?

Alfred E Neuman
1292810.  Tue Aug 14, 2018 8:06 am Reply with quote

Light creates shadows.

Alexander Howard
1292823.  Tue Aug 14, 2018 9:42 am Reply with quote

Light illuminates objects to reveal truth - it is not truth in itself, though it is frequently used as metaphor for truth.

Light in general may illuminate and reveal the wholeness or truth of an object, but this depends on the extent and intensity of illumination, and the wavelengths used. A limited spectrum can mislead the eye.

Page 1 of 1