View previous topic | View next topic

Napoleon

Page 1 of 1

duglasbell@hotmail.co.uk
1291121.  Wed Jul 25, 2018 2:51 pm Reply with quote

What did Napoleon fear the most?

If anyone says 'cats' they're wrong.

There are no reputable, trustworthy stories on the life of Napoleon Bonaparte which suggest he had any phobias, especially not for cats.

This misinformation was perpetrated decades after the Regency when there really was a Napoleon who was terrified of cats. But this was his nephew Napoleon III who was so ailurophobic that whenever a cat entered a room he would jump onto a piece of furniture and not come down till the animal was removed. Over time, of course, the first Napoleon became the one everybody remembered and, in due course, the cat-phobia became erroneously attributed to him.

Even so, although Napoleon I didn't fear cats he had little respect for them. He regarded them as disloyal and preferred dogs for their slavish loyalty to their masters. He also saw them as lazy - anathema to a workaholic Napoleon. Finally he associated them with femininity and Napoleon essentially saw women as little more than brood-mares.

Though he didn't fear or hate cats he was superstitious and, like many Europeans, he believed that to catch a sight of a black cat meant bad luck. From what little information exists on this aspect of his life he appears that black cats affected him personally rather than his military plans.

He seems to have mellowed later in life, however. Whilst on St Helena he sought out the companionship of many animals on the Longwood estate including a cat whom he named Ben after an American general he admired.

Source:
https://regencyredingote.wordpress.com/2014/05/16/fact-or-fiction-boneys-feline-phobia/

duglasbell@hotmail.co.uk
1348022.  Tue May 12, 2020 11:24 am Reply with quote

Additionally, Napoleon's first wife, Josephine Marie Josephe Rose Tascher de la Pagerie is the ancestor of five current European royal houses.

Napoleon, however, is the ancestor of none seeing as he reluctantly divorced her in 1809 in order to produce an heir.

duglasbell@hotmail.co.uk
1390840.  Fri Sep 24, 2021 11:05 am Reply with quote

Q. What was the name of Napoleon's first wife?

A. Josephine.

Klaxons

She was born Marie-Josephe-Rose Tascher de la Pagerie - before she met Napoleon she always called herself Rose but he apparently disliked that name and preferred to call her Josephine, a diminutive of Josephe.

www.todayifoundout.com

Bonus fact - she owned a pet orangutan that she used to bring to dinner in a white blouse.

CB27
1390848.  Fri Sep 24, 2021 11:52 am Reply with quote

I have a feeling Josephine's name was covered on Qi in an earlier series.

crissdee
1390868.  Fri Sep 24, 2021 1:25 pm Reply with quote

One of my dad's friends, who was one of the biggest guys I have ever met (used to haul commercial washing machines around for a living) was so terrified of our adoptive cat, that he refused to enter the living room where said cat was asleep to fix our central heating, until he had been removed to another room.

SkrillSand
1392524.  Wed Oct 13, 2021 4:02 pm Reply with quote

crissdee wrote:
One of my dad's friends, who was one of the biggest guys I have ever met (used to haul commercial washing machines around for a living) was so terrified of our adoptive cat, that he refused to enter the living room where said cat was asleep to fix our central heating, until he had been removed to another room.
https://twojfilm.online/filmy-online

It's a very funny situation. These things happen. My aunt had a cat like that. Until the fear was past him to pass because he just turned around and jumped and scratched.

Page 1 of 1