View previous topic | View next topic

Presidents

Page 1 of 1

BarmyPhipps
1290854.  Sun Jul 22, 2018 2:22 pm Reply with quote

Who was the first President of the United States.
Default - George Washington

In fact George Washington as well as Adams, Jefferson, and Hamilton all mourned the death of John Hanson, our first President in 1783.

The government of the United States was first established when the Articles of Confederation were signed. It established a government over the states and had the powers of a national government and was recognized as such by foreign powers at the time.

It was replaced by the present constitution 8 years later but can't be denied. People in the current government admit Hanson was the first.

It's akin to learning the Kings and Queens of England starting with William the Bastard and ignoring Athelstan and the other Saxon and Danish Kings.

Jenny
1290942.  Mon Jul 23, 2018 5:18 pm Reply with quote

I think if you go waaaay back to the beginning of this show, possibly even to the pilot, we actually covered that! Welcome to the forums - some of us are in the USA (me, Efros and AnneB) - all of us are in Maine.

crissdee
1290963.  Tue Jul 24, 2018 3:38 am Reply with quote

I may be mistaken, but your name suggests a fondness for the stories of Wodehouse, so you a clearly a person of taste and decency!

BarmyPhipps
1290995.  Tue Jul 24, 2018 9:20 am Reply with quote

I am indeed a fan of Wodehouse regardless of the fact my surname is actually Phipps. My ancestor moved to Maine in the 17th century and the family included the Ma Bay Colony governor who instituted the courts including the one that conducted the Salem Witch Trials. He put a stop to those when they accused his wife of being a witch.

I live a few miles from where Hanson's widow is buried in the same cemetery where Francis Scott Key Fitzgerald was reinterred. Francis Scott Key practiced law here and his I believe his father-in-law's home, Arcadia, is a couple miles from my house. F Scott Fitzgerald is buried about a 10 minute drive from my office at Old St Mary's Church.

Arcadia is a 45 room mansion where Gen Meade took command of the Army of the Potomac about 6 days before the Battle of Gettysburg. Historical markers mistakenly say it was Prospect Hall which is nearby.

Hanson's grave was lost for a while. Then found and then lost when a developer wanted it out of the way. Recently they think it was found again and descendants are talking about doing a DNA test to verify it is so and then want to move his grave to Frederick MD next to his wife. His wife's grave was moved from the original cemetery to the present site and was unmarked for years until they managed to identify it.

BarmyPhipps
1290996.  Tue Jul 24, 2018 9:24 am Reply with quote

Hanson established the executive office of the presidency. His presidency saw the removal of foreign troops, the establishment of the first consular service, a post office department, and a chartered National Bank. President Hanson also established the first Treasury Department, the first Secretary of War, and the first Foreign Affairs Department. He suggested Thanksgiving as the fourth Thursday in November. He was influential in the approval of the great seal of the United States. His presidency also included planning for a national census as well as the adoption of a system for universal coinage.

Jenny
1291011.  Tue Jul 24, 2018 11:11 am Reply with quote

Clearly a very influential guy! I wonder why more isn't taught about him. My son did the last three years of high school over here, and I don't recall any of that being taught.

If ever you find yourself in southern Maine, let us know and we'll have a mini-meet :-)

Page 1 of 1