View previous topic | View next topic

But would its eyes pop out?

Page 1 of 1

nataliepenna
1289040.  Wed Jul 04, 2018 2:54 pm Reply with quote

When I worked in a pet shop as a teenager, I was told never to pick up a rodent that stores food in its cheek by the scruff if its cheeks were full. The logic behind this was that the excess skin rodents use for their scruffs was also used to expand their cheeks to store food. My manager tried (and possibly succeeded) to convince us that if you tried to grab at the excess skin for the scruff while their cheeks were full, there wouldn't be enough skin to grab, and their eyes would pop out because rodents' eyes are on the sides of their heads.

Is this true?

Please note; this is not a tested theory, because I'm not a monster.

swot
1289053.  Wed Jul 04, 2018 4:24 pm Reply with quote

I would imagine that either you just wouldn't be able to grab enoigh skin, or the food would come ouf of its mouth or something. Wouldn't it have muscles to keep its eyes in its head?

crissdee
1289054.  Wed Jul 04, 2018 4:51 pm Reply with quote

I don't know of a cheek-pouch equipped rodent that is big enough to grab by the scruff, or, to put it another way, is too big not to just grab with one or two hands.

Waits to hear that the capybara has cheek pouches, but wtf is going to pick up one of them buggers anyway?

nataliepenna
1289057.  Wed Jul 04, 2018 5:49 pm Reply with quote

From my pet shop experience I can tell you that rabbits, guinea pigs, syrian hamsters, chinchillas, degus, gerbils and rats are all large enough to grab by the scruff.

crissdee
1289077.  Thu Jul 05, 2018 3:12 am Reply with quote

Not with my hands they are not!

Page 1 of 1