View previous topic | View next topic

Descartes

Page 1 of 1

Snowywebb
1288077.  Tue Jun 26, 2018 7:56 am Reply with quote

I’m finding it difficult to believe that it’s never.been pointed out that Descartes most famous quote is actually an abbreviation of his original therefore diluting the impact of the main crux of what he wanted to convey.i

“Dubito, ergo cognito, ergo sum”

“I doubt, therefore I think, therefore I am”

(I apologise if I’m wrong but I did a word search of dubito and came up with 1 result which had nothing to do with Descartes.)

'yorz
1288107.  Tue Jun 26, 2018 11:53 am Reply with quote

Cogito, you mean.

As for the extended form, that was apparently not written by Descartes but by an admirer:

Quote:
The proposition is sometimes given as dubito, ergo cogito, ergo sum. This fuller form was penned by the eloquent French literary critic, Antoine Léonard Thomas, in an award-winning 1765 essay in praise of Descartes, where it appeared as "Puisque je doute, je pense; puisque je pense, j'existe." In English, this is "Since I doubt, I think; since I think I exist"; with rearrangement and compaction, "I doubt, therefore I think, therefore I am", or in Latin, "dubito, ergo cogito, ergo sum".

Source

Snowywebb
1288121.  Tue Jun 26, 2018 12:51 pm Reply with quote

'yorz wrote:
Cogito, you mean.

That probably explains why I had such a hard time with the spell check when trying to compile this post.

I was told about this quote by a friend, a University student who was studying Descartes in philosophy and who was committed enough to her understanding that she had the full quote tattooed on her back... but she might have been wrong.

ali
1288410.  Thu Jun 28, 2018 3:23 pm Reply with quote

The 'cognito ergo sum' error has appeared in these pages before.

There is some more Latin on the next page in that thread.

Page 1 of 1