View previous topic | View next topic

US minority cops

Page 1 of 1

'yorz
1287782.  Sun Jun 24, 2018 11:20 am Reply with quote

Topic: Hispanic/Black/takeyourpick people serving as cops, are often complicit in the harsh treatment of those of their own colour.

The psychology behind the whole recruitment of POC is quite clever; it covers and offers consequences for all possible behaviours/attitudes.

It made me recall the stories of Jewish prisoners who ended up as Lager Guards. I'm not judging, for who's to tell how strong and principled I would remain in such hellish situations?

Mind, I have no idea how such things stand in the UK. Anybody?

Here's the thread. Please read first the post by Katy, who questions the existence of racist attitudes from the police, since there are Hispanic cops, too.
The lesson she receives will, hopefully, stick.

bobwilson
1288006.  Mon Jun 25, 2018 6:50 pm Reply with quote

This isn't really about race - it's about deciding which particular group you choose to identify with.

In simple terms, once you become a "cop" you abdicate a part of your personal responsibility and become a member of a group, to which you give a higher allegiance than you do to other calls upon your empathy. (This also applies to other self-defining groups eg co-workers in an office, or neighbours- but it's most visible with figures of authority).

I sometimes watch those programmes with titles like "The Sheriffs Are Coming" and I've never actually seen any of the enforcement agents use the phrase "just doing my job" (although quite often the subject of the enforcement action will say "I realise you're just doing your job").

I like to think that if I were in the position of the enforcement agent I would challenge that statement - "No, I'm NOT just doing my job - I happen to believe that I'm doing the right thing here - if I didn't believe that, I wouldn't do it".

Page 1 of 1