View previous topic | View next topic

Celebrity Baton Relay Changeling Raleigh

Page 2 of 7
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

ali
1287811.  Sun Jun 24, 2018 3:00 pm Reply with quote

I may be confusing this with (an)other game(s), but I think I'm entitled to claim the point after 24 hours (and post a new start). One thing I am sure of is that since GuyBarry is OP for the game he owns it, and has adjudication (and making-up-rules-for-difficult-circumstances) rights.

GuyBarry
1287813.  Sun Jun 24, 2018 3:07 pm Reply with quote

ali wrote:
I may be confusing this with (an)other game(s), but I think I'm entitled to claim the point after 24 hours (and post a new start).

OK, that seems reasonable.

Quote:
One thing I am sure of is that since GuyBarry is OP for the game he owns it, and has adjudication (and making-up-rules-for-difficult-circumstances) rights.

I'm not sure if I want them!

All right, ali will get the point if no one comes up with a followup within 24 hours of his post, and he'll then be allowed to start again. And I'm going to rule that being famous purely for being related to another famous person is disallowed - the person concerned has to have an independent claim to fame. Fair enough?

Alfred E Neuman
1287829.  Sun Jun 24, 2018 10:23 pm Reply with quote

Aliís a he?

GuyBarry
1287834.  Mon Jun 25, 2018 3:53 am Reply with quote

I assumed that it was the male Arabic name. If it's actually short for "Alison" or something like that, I apologize.

By an odd coincidence, I switched on the radio this morning and almost the first voice I heard was Miranda Krestovnikoff on Radio 4's Tweet of the Day.

It occurs to me that there's a potential problem with this game. If the first name "Miranda" ever appears again, then the next player will inevitably jump in with "Miranda Krestovnikoff" (assuming it proves to be a winner this time). Should there be a rule forbidding the re-use of names that have previously won?

ali
1287922.  Mon Jun 25, 2018 1:07 pm Reply with quote

I think that keeping a list of 'dead names' is a good idea. Maybe edit in a list in the OP?

Anyway, one point to me (hooray!) and, since he's in the news:

Boris Johnson

Clown

Big Martin
1287925.  Mon Jun 25, 2018 1:29 pm Reply with quote

Joe Johnson

Basketball player

GuyBarry
1287928.  Mon Jun 25, 2018 1:42 pm Reply with quote

Joe Lycett

British comedian

(All discussions about the rules are now directed to this thread, to avoid disrupting the game.)

Big Martin
1288105.  Tue Jun 26, 2018 11:47 am Reply with quote

Andrew Lycett

Biographer and journalist.

crissdee
1288135.  Tue Jun 26, 2018 1:33 pm Reply with quote

Andrew Scott.

Actor, Jim Moriarty in Sherlock

GuyBarry
1288141.  Tue Jun 26, 2018 2:20 pm Reply with quote

Selina Scott

Former BBC Breakfast Time presenter

Big Martin
1288155.  Tue Jun 26, 2018 3:39 pm Reply with quote

Selina Griffiths

Actress

crissdee
1288160.  Tue Jun 26, 2018 4:34 pm Reply with quote

Richard Griffiths.

Actor

Big Martin
1288174.  Wed Jun 27, 2018 12:52 am Reply with quote

Richard Bodley-Scott

Doctor, author (and a friend of mine in his medical student days). There are numerous links that come up when you Google his name, so he's "famous" - at least in the circles I frequent!

GuyBarry
1288179.  Wed Jun 27, 2018 2:55 am Reply with quote

(So how is "famous" defined for the purposes of this game then? Do I need to come up with a rule about that as well?)

John Bodley Scott

Architect

ali
1288182.  Wed Jun 27, 2018 3:37 am Reply with quote

GuyBarry wrote:
(So how is "famous" defined for the purposes of this game then? Do I need to come up with a rule about that as well?)

John Bodley Scott

Architect

I think we need a definitive ruling.
My feeling is that Richard Bodley-Scott just about scrapes in under the wire - his Google entries are about him as an individual, for the most part, and it's reasonable to suppose that members of the wargaming fraternity might know his name without knowing him personally. It wouldn't upset me unduly if he were ruled ineligible though.
John Bodley Scott, on the other hand, doesn't seem to count as a celebrity to me. His Google entries are either specifically related to his architectural firm (which shares his name) or are the sort of sites that anyone could have (Facebook, Twitter, LinkedIn etc.)

Possible criteria:

i) A Wikipedia/IMDB/other page in the person's name.
ii) A press/radio/TV interview of the person in relation to their claim to fame.
iii) A Youtube channel in the person's name with a set minimum number of subscribers
iv) no-one moans too much about it :)

It's a difficult one, and I remember there being a significant number of entries of dubious celebrity in the old game (and no definitive ruling).

Page 2 of 7
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next