View previous topic | View next topic

Things E

Page 2 of 5
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

gerontius grumpus
78791.  Sun Jul 09, 2006 7:31 pm Reply with quote

Enteromorpha, tubular green seaweed, gets its name from its resemblence to intestines. Very common in harbours, estuaries and where fresh water flows into the sea. Also found in fresh water some distance from the sea. Sometimes mistaken for filamentous algae.

swot
78841.  Mon Jul 10, 2006 9:08 am Reply with quote

Eugh!

(Ya see what I did there?)

Elephants. They're vaguely interesting in some ways. And if not, I bet someone could come up with a cracking nob gag about them. So all will be well.

Andrew
78876.  Mon Jul 10, 2006 12:15 pm Reply with quote

no1 school swot wrote:
Elephants. They're vaguely interesting in some ways. And if not, I bet someone could come up with a cracking nob gag about them. So all will be well.

I believe one of those gags was on a card I received last week :-D

swot
79042.  Tue Jul 11, 2006 9:38 am Reply with quote

Feel like sharing the hilarity?

I can't believe no-one has mentioned Elves yet. They're the backbone of QI.

Some more ideas:

Existentialism
Edward Elgar
Edvard Grieg
Entropy
Eczema
Eric Satie (sp?)
Egmont overture
Enigma machine
Enigma variations

suze
79049.  Tue Jul 11, 2006 9:54 am Reply with quote

no1 school swot wrote:
I can't believe no-one has mentioned Elves yet.

You are quite right not to believe it, because we have indeed had elves.

The discussion (entitled Elf) was actually about a footballer who has a tattoo in Elvish along his forearm, but feel free to resurrect it and talk about actual elves!

A few other things that start with E and haven't come up yet:

Esperanto
Escapology
Elsie Tanner
Euskadi ta Azkatasuna
Emo (please can one of you young people tell me what this actually means!)
European Union
Edelweiss
Ejaculation
Earwigs
Eton Wall Game
Enquire Within Upon Everything

and lots more that I can't think of right now. But please, please, please not "Eskimos". They must wait four more years for the I series.

Quaintly Ignorant
79055.  Tue Jul 11, 2006 10:13 am Reply with quote

EMO

Although it is often mistaken as being short for "emotional," emo was originally the abbreviation for a type of music known as "emotive hardcore". Emo music performances were extremely dramatic, typicalling including lead singers falling to their knees and screaming or crying. Because traditional hardcore contained a lot less whining and a lot more beating people up, "emo" soon became a taunting nickname used by punkers to insult other, more sensitive members of the hardcore scene. The "emotive" part of emotive hardcore is that it attempts to authentically convey raw human emotion.

However, this musical movement died at least 100 years ago and actual emotive hardcore music has since taken a backseat to scenester posturing and no-talent losers in eyeliner. Presently, "emo" is code for "goddamn shitty pop punk music played by and for depressed suburban teens". It's all that Dashboard Confessional, My Chemical Romance, Linkin Park, Taking Back Sunday, and Fall Out Boy your retarded girlfriend listens to. This "music" is noted for it's complete lack of musical merit. It is also rumored that "emo" is the only music solely created by fetuses aborted due to advanced retardation. Only assholes listen to this stuff.

It is common knowledge that emo is only for middle-class white people, who have more problems than everyone else on the earth combined. These singers are dealing with feelings of rejection. Other typical expressions include sadness, rage, regret and jealousy. Sometimes it can even result in suicide.

The current incarnation of emo has basically replaced all other teenage culture as the dominant one. The slightly faded "vintage" clothing and track suits are available at any mall and often displayed in tandem with the most mainstream wares. Because the accoutrements and garb are very easy and cheap to obtain, it makes the style accessible to anyone. In earlier times emo was a generally male-dominated subculture with very few females observed at shows and events. Now, however, due to the ease of obtainment of the requisite style items, many females have become involved in the subculture. Please see photo for an illustration of a typical specimen. There may be no easily discernible differences between the standard teenager and someone involved in the emo scene.

tetsabb
79060.  Tue Jul 11, 2006 10:26 am Reply with quote

'emo' always makes me think of Emo Philips, a tall gangly surreal American comedian

http://www.emophilips.com/home

One of his lines is "I lent a friend $30,000 for plastic surgery. Now I don't know what he looks like"
And many lines about his parents' dislike of him. Could be quite a good QI guest

Ameena
79071.  Tue Jul 11, 2006 10:53 am Reply with quote

Or the Emohawk, a type of domesticated Polymorph ;).

djgordy
79073.  Tue Jul 11, 2006 11:01 am Reply with quote

I have mentioned Emo before; I saw him at comedy club in the late 1980s and he was so funny I really did think I was going to die laughing.

He did the one about:

"When I was a child I wanted a bike so I prayed to God to send me one. Then I realised that God doesn't work in that way, so I stole one and asked for forgiveness instead."

and

"I was out yesterday and I saw little Tommy I used to go school with so I went to say 'hello' but he didn't recognise me. Then I realised it probably wasn't him because if it was Tommy, he would have grown up too."

tetsabb
79085.  Tue Jul 11, 2006 11:35 am Reply with quote

..and "I heard my parents arguing one night. Mum said, 'I wish you hadn't talked me out of having an abortion'

Yeuchhhhh

suze
79086.  Tue Jul 11, 2006 11:36 am Reply with quote

Thanks for the explanation, Quaintly. I'm forming the impression that you are not a fan of this emo music stuff.

My stepdaughter does indeed have some music of this flavour among her collection. She certainly isn't "retarded" and I've no reason to think she's depressed, but she is a white kid, I guess living in North Kent makes her a suburban teen, and I suppose she would have to be regarded as middle class. (Much as one likes to think one is of the lumpenproletariat, I can't really deny that a kid whose father is a member of the MCC, whose natural mother is a veterinarian and whose stepmother is a university lecturer is probably middle class.)

She has music of various other flavours as well though, so I'm not going to get too worried. In fact right this minute she appears to be listening to Abba, which is far more worrying ...

Quaintly Ignorant
79103.  Tue Jul 11, 2006 1:44 pm Reply with quote

Entirely tongue in cheek I assure you. The way I see it if people find it fulfilling to feel opressed and hard done by, to the degree that they seek it out, I feel it my duty to provide a fair dollop of vituperation in order to aid them in their enjoyed despair. It's like a civic duty, a symbiotic relationship or something. To be honest though, like most music genres, there are examples that redeem it's value from time to time. I'm not a musical snob, I promise.

And yes... ABBA is quite worrying. As an aside, I learned something new about ABBA that I didn't know before: ABBA got their name by taking the first letter from each of their names (Agnetha, Bjorn, Benny, Anni-frid.) Perhaps there was a reason I didn't know that......

suze
79120.  Tue Jul 11, 2006 4:21 pm Reply with quote

The even more worrying bit is that the Abba CD she was playing is actually mine...

Unlike my stepdaughter, I was an angry young thing as a teen - and I had multi coloured hair and a couple of nose rings to prove it - so I suppose I would have been the target market for this emo stuff if it had existed back then. But it didn't, so I made do with The Cramps, The Smiths and, erm, Tom Waits.

I've calmed down a bit since then. Obviously so, since I admit to owning an Abba CD...

Flash
79134.  Tue Jul 11, 2006 5:18 pm Reply with quote

suze wrote:
Much as one likes to think one is of the lumpenproletariat

That seems interesting - the implication being that you are describing a state of mind that's so common as to be more or less consensual. Do we think it is? And, if so, why? I mean, why would it be commonly regarded as preferable to belong to that class rather than another?

As usual, asking because I want to know.

djgordy
79144.  Tue Jul 11, 2006 5:36 pm Reply with quote

It isn't desirable to be seen as part of the lumpenproletariat. In Marxist terms the lumpenproletariat is what we might now call the 'underclass' as it includes beggars, prostitutes, gangsters, racketeers, swindlers, petty criminals, tramps, chronic unemployed or unemployables, persons who have been cast out by industry, and all sorts of declassed, degraded or degenerated elements. The lumpenproletariat likely to be reactionary and anti-revolutionary and are not to be confused with the genuine progressive and revolutionary working class.

Page 2 of 5
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next