View previous topic | View next topic

The "Great Purge" of October 2009

Page 2 of 3
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Spud McLaren
1288007.  Mon Jun 25, 2018 6:56 pm Reply with quote

bobwilson wrote:
But then, as I mentioned elsewhere, I am an extreme Darwinian - and I kind of like the whole idea of trying everything and seeing what works and what doesn't.
(bold mine)

Hang on, bob - I thought that term was meaningless?

bobwilson
1288008.  Mon Jun 25, 2018 7:14 pm Reply with quote

Sort of - in this context it has meaning.

I don't like the term "extremist" when contrasted with "moderate" - from the "extremist" pov the "moderate" is extreme.

I meant (as I think you know) "convinced" or "committed" - and in this instance I think the use of the word "extreme" makes sense.

But max points for the nit-picking. ;)

Spud McLaren
1288016.  Mon Jun 25, 2018 9:00 pm Reply with quote

I'll take that.

It had just stuck in my mind for all that time - no idea why.

GuyBarry
1288021.  Mon Jun 25, 2018 10:44 pm Reply with quote

bobwilson wrote:
Quote:
How much of the material posted to these forums actually ends up in a TV show or book?

I imagine the answer would be "very little" - but isn't that the way of all rationalist expression? A quick glance at almost any thread will show that the putative reason for a thread is rarely maintained, and that digression is the order of the day.

Indeed. That's why I was surprised to read suze's comments from 2009 saying "the primary reason for the existence of these forums is and must remain that they enable members to put forward material which may one day feature in those shows and books" (my boldface). It clearly hasn't remained that way. A forum fulfilling those criteria would look very different from the present one, and I doubt whether I'd have joined in 2013 if I'd thought that was what the forum was about.

I wasn't here in 2009 so I can only speculate about what the forum was like then. Was there a lot more emphasis on providing information that could be used in TV shows and books? It strikes me as a bit odd to expect forum members to act as unpaid researchers in that fashion.

Spud McLaren
1288048.  Tue Jun 26, 2018 5:17 am Reply with quote

GuyBarry wrote:
I wasn't here in 2009 so I can only speculate about what the forum was like then. Was there a lot more emphasis on providing information that could be used in TV shows and books? It strikes me as a bit odd to expect forum members to act as unpaid researchers in that fashion.
My impression is that the forum was created in order to let members of the general public suggest items from their (possibly) esoteric areas of knowledge, and then a team of paid researchers (the Elves) would check and expand on likely ones. And everybody gets to have a bit of fun doing it.

By 2009 there was still some expectation amongst forum members that the occasional nugget would be taken up (and indeed a few were, though don't ask me to say which - maybe a trawl of the Question Baskets and Research threads under "QI: The BBC TV Series" might give some idea, though it would have to be pre-2009 as only the series A - F have been published to the site). I don't really feel that there's much hope of that left now.

dr.bob
1288084.  Tue Jun 26, 2018 9:21 am Reply with quote

GuyBarry wrote:
That's why I was surprised to read suze's comments from 2009 saying "the primary reason for the existence of these forums is and must remain that they enable members to put forward material which may one day feature in those shows and books" (my boldface). It clearly hasn't remained that way.

In what way do the forums not enable members to put forward material which may one day feature in those shows and books?

Just because that is the primary reason for these forums' existence, it doesn't imply that that is the primary way in which they are used.

GuyBarry wrote:
It strikes me as a bit odd to expect forum members to act as unpaid researchers in that fashion.

Nobody "expected" forum members to act as unpaid researchers in that fashion. However, many forum members were happy to act in that way, and a small number were subsequently contacted by The Management and employed on a more formal basis where they did certain agreed amounts of work in return for cash (or hob nobs).

GuyBarry
1288143.  Tue Jun 26, 2018 2:34 pm Reply with quote

OK well then, it seems that the primary purpose of these forums is a purpose for which they're hardly used any more.

I can't make any sense of it, but if the management are happy with it then it doesn't matter.

'yorz
1288154.  Tue Jun 26, 2018 3:34 pm Reply with quote

The fun bit is that everybody else is happy with it, too (bar you, of course).

Jenny
1288219.  Wed Jun 27, 2018 7:26 am Reply with quote

GuyBarry wrote:
OK well then, it seems that the primary purpose of these forums is a purpose for which they're hardly used any more.

I can't make any sense of it, but if the management are happy with it then it doesn't matter.

You're forgetting the bit I referred to above. There are a large number of hidden forums, only visible to the research team. We use the research forums to pool research for the show. Some of the bits of that research are taken from things forum members have shared in the outer forums, but we nearly always have to confirm them and back them up.

barbados
1288229.  Wed Jun 27, 2018 8:17 am Reply with quote

The forum is certainly a very much a changed place from when I joined.
I'm not sure how much of a problem space still is, but I don't think there as been a purge for some time now.

Feeling nostalgic, I thought I'd go back to see what my first post was in 2004.

It would appear I was led here by guestbook (remember those?) post from Jenny that began a long and very enjoyable journey that has led to meeting a lot of wonderful people :)

Looking back though I think it is only me and Jenny that are still "regulars" in the public part of the forum.

suze
1288251.  Wed Jun 27, 2018 11:46 am Reply with quote

That looks about right. Leaving aside those who are in some sense "staff", you first came to these forums longer ago than anyone else who is still to be found here.

bobwilson was a month behind you, and then you have to go quite a long way down the list to find any other "civilians" who are still active.

'yorz
1288253.  Wed Jun 27, 2018 11:58 am Reply with quote

As far as I can see, barbados joined 15 May 2006.
bobwilson joined 24 October 2004, a year and a half before barbados, not one month after.

ali
1288258.  Wed Jun 27, 2018 12:34 pm Reply with quote

'barbados' is a pseudonym. He used to be known by another name, but started a new account rather than getting the name changed - as some others have done :)

barbados
1288272.  Wed Jun 27, 2018 1:15 pm Reply with quote

I did - with good reason (as far as I was concerned).

It was simple to consolidate my online psuedonyms, but I had a business that I used to tout through QI (legitimately) and the route that Jenny brought me here was linked to that so had I changed my name I would have lost a bit of business. So the old name stayed so the PM route remained open.

'yorz
1288276.  Wed Jun 27, 2018 1:45 pm Reply with quote

ali wrote:
rather than getting the name changed - as some others have done :)

Yes I got your hint. My name 'change' was rather an abbreviation of the original version as suggested by other forummers as they often commented on it for being too long (a bit silly when you see people use their whole email address as forum name, but hey :-), and the present form was in fact used by others a while before I asked Jenny to change it into that.

Page 2 of 3
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next