View previous topic | View next topic

Jack Churchill (Mad Jack)

Page 1 of 1

edd
1287478.  Wed Jun 20, 2018 3:13 pm Reply with quote

Jack Churchill is an exciting character who served as an officer in the British army during WW2 and was known for his old school ways having the motto “Any officer who goes into action without his sword is improperly dressed.”.

Several facts about him:

- He was the only known British soldier to known to have killed an enemy combatant with a longbow.

- During a naval raid on Vågsøy, Norway, he charged with his bagpipes playing "March of the Cameron Men".

- He infiltrated the Italian town of Molina, together with a corporal, and captured 42 prisoners. While in a hand-to-hand fight with a German he lost his sword, and ended up walking back to the German outpost to find it.

- He was captured by Germans after being knocked out by a mortar shell. I assume he wasn't hard to find, as he was playing "Will Ye No Come Back Again" on his bagpipe.

crissdee
1287481.  Wed Jun 20, 2018 4:32 pm Reply with quote

edd wrote:
- He was the only known British soldier to known to have killed an enemy combatant with a longbow.

In WW2 perhaps, but at Agincourt, Crecy, etc there must have been one or two.............

edd
1287482.  Wed Jun 20, 2018 4:34 pm Reply with quote

crissdee wrote:
edd wrote:

In WW2 perhaps, but at Agincourt, Crecy, etc there must have been one or two.............

Yes yes, you're right - well spotted. All of these points were meant to be under the general WW2 banner.

Bondee
1287510.  Thu Jun 21, 2018 3:46 am Reply with quote

I think he's already been mentioned on QI. I seem to remember the "If it wasn't for the damn Yanks..." quote.

<pootles off for a second>

Yep, QI's very own Stevyn "Stig" Colgan appeared on an episode of The Z List Dead List podcast to talk about him, so I'm sure some of his research would've made it to the tv show.

DVD Smith
1287516.  Thu Jun 21, 2018 5:32 am Reply with quote

He was also one of the donations on the most recently series of Museum of Curiosity (with Sally Phillips), donated by Rory Bremner. Mad Jack's sons made a special guest appearance on the episode.

https://www.comedy.co.uk/radio/museum_curiosity/episodes/12/1/

monzac
1287519.  Thu Jun 21, 2018 5:47 am Reply with quote

... and Citation Needed.

Page 1 of 1