View previous topic | View next topic

Quakers

Page 1 of 1

tetsabb
1286181.  Thu Jun 07, 2018 5:43 am Reply with quote

I am surprised that Jenny has not introduced a thread on this movement, but then she is currently busy moving house.

Apart from porridge oats, what have quakers ever done for us?
😉

tetsabb
1286183.  Thu Jun 07, 2018 5:46 am Reply with quote

OK, Rowntree and Fry's chocolate....

Spud McLaren
1286186.  Thu Jun 07, 2018 5:51 am Reply with quote

A major component (cast iron mass-production) of the Industrial Revolution, and the world's first iron bridge.

Spud McLaren
1286189.  Thu Jun 07, 2018 5:56 am Reply with quote

Dammit, why don't I just post a link - Quaker influence on society.

Spud McLaren
1286191.  Thu Jun 07, 2018 6:09 am Reply with quote

But not porridge oats - Henry Seymour and William Heston founded the Quaker Mill in Ravenna, and on 4 September 1877 Seymour trademarked the Quaker brand (the first registration of a trademark for breakfast cereal) after reading an encyclopedia article on Quakers. That says to me that the owners of the mill weren't Quakers themselves.

Hasn't this been covered here or in the TV programme previously?

tetsabb
1286199.  Thu Jun 07, 2018 8:18 am Reply with quote

Spud McLaren wrote:
Dammit, why don't I just post a link - Quaker influence on society.

We-ell, apart from that, what have they done for us?
😉

Jenny
1286205.  Thu Jun 07, 2018 8:48 am Reply with quote

Note the sterling efforts of Quakers to rescue Jewish children during WW2, as noted in Spud's link.

Some interesting Quakers:

John Woolman who was one of the earliest Quakers to be convinced of the wrongness of slavery, and devoted his life to traveling up and down the (then) thirteen colonies to try and convince other Quakers. In the process he kept a journal, which is beautifully written - I highly commend it to interested parties. Amazing man. I wrote a poem about him, which is in my book, composed purely of words and phrases from his journal.

There is also Rufus Jones of Maine, one of the founders of the American Friends Service Committee, a small organization that (if they will forgive the violence of the metaphor) punches well above its weight in terms of influence. Rufus Jones had some interesting things to say about missionaries and mysticism.

Alexander Howard
1286214.  Thu Jun 07, 2018 10:09 am Reply with quote

Pennsylvania, as eni fule kno, was founded by William Penn, and Quakers settled there in some numbers. They were not a majority but 'Pennsylvania' and 'Quakers' were firmly connected in the mind.

Adam Smith cynically, but no doubt accurately, opined that "The late resolution of the Quakers in Pennsylvania to set at liberty all their negro slaves may satisfy us that their number cannot be very great."

RolloTreadway
1322891.  Tue May 28, 2019 6:32 pm Reply with quote

Hello !! Another interesting Quaker -

In 1776, Quaker Jemima Wilkinson suffered from a severe illness and was bedridden. Upon waking, Wilkinson announced that they had died and become reanimated after receiving messages from God through two angels!

Wilkinson insisted that their soul had ascended to heaven, and that their body was now animated with the spirit of the "Publick Universal Friend", a genderless entity and messenger for God.

Refusing to answer to Jemima Wilkinson any longer, the friend began wearing androgynous clothes and using non-gendered pronouns, going by Publick Universal Friend or related nicknames. They began to preach throughout the US and attracted many followers who became the "Society of Universal Friends", advocating for sexual abstinence, free will, and an end to slavery !

Jenny
1322950.  Wed May 29, 2019 9:39 am Reply with quote

I really like the name Publick Universal Friend, though I'll pass on the sexual abstinence bit.

Page 1 of 1