View previous topic | View next topic

Listing of unread posts

Page 1 of 1

Brock
1284550.  Sun May 20, 2018 3:07 am Reply with quote

If I log out of the forum with posts still unread, and then log back in again, the "View posts since last visit" option only lists posts that were made since I logged out. Is there any way of getting the software to list all unread posts, including ones left over from last time?

Spud McLaren
1284567.  Sun May 20, 2018 5:11 am Reply with quote

You could use "View your posts", which lists all the current threads to which you've ever made a contribution. Other than that, I don't think there's a way of doing it other than clicking "Talk" at the top of the page and picking out the threads that have been updated after a certain time.

Brock
1284574.  Sun May 20, 2018 5:38 am Reply with quote

Spud McLaren wrote:
You could use "View your posts", which lists all the current threads to which you've ever made a contribution.

It doesn't list threads to which I haven't made a contribution, though. If I only posted in threads to which I'd already posted then I'd never post anything!

Quote:
Other than that, I don't think there's a way of doing it other than clicking "Talk" at the top of the page and picking out the threads that have been updated after a certain time.

That's a shame. Pretty much every other forum I take part in has a "view unread posts" option. With this one, it seems the only way I can be sure of not missing any posts is by completely catching up every time I log in (for which I don't always have time). I keep wondering whether I'm missing a lot of interesting stuff.

'yorz
1284576.  Sun May 20, 2018 5:44 am Reply with quote

There should be a 'following' option, where you can safely ignore those whose waffle grates (not that there are many if any of those here, of course :-p)

Alfred E Neuman
1284582.  Sun May 20, 2018 6:22 am Reply with quote

Brock wrote:
Is there any way of getting the software to list all unread posts, including ones left over from last time?

If you find a way, please let us all know - itís been bugging me for ten years or so now. :-)

suze
1284594.  Sun May 20, 2018 7:30 am Reply with quote

'yorz wrote:
There should be a 'following' option, where you can safely ignore those whose waffle grates (not that there are many if any of those here, of course :-p)

That would be a nice feature, but unfortunately it is all but impossible to tweak the software that runs these forums. The version of phpBB which runs these forums is positively ancient, but a previous IT Elf hacked it up so much to make it do what he wanted it to do that any changes would need a team of professional coders on professional coder wages.

Sorry, but that's not happening. Commander Lloyd is kind enough to pay the fairly modest costs of keeping these forums going, even though they no longer form part of his plans for world domination. But if they ever looked like costing serious money his thinking might change, and a gift horse should never be looked in the mouth.

Brock
1284618.  Sun May 20, 2018 12:52 pm Reply with quote

suze wrote:
The version of phpBB which runs these forums is positively ancient, but a previous IT Elf hacked it up so much to make it do what he wanted it to do that any changes would need a team of professional coders on professional coder wages.

So can't you install the latest version of phpBB instead? It's free of charge.

https://www.phpbb.com/downloads/

dr.bob
1284755.  Tue May 22, 2018 8:39 am Reply with quote

I think the previous IT Elf tried that some time ago and failed to transfer all the existing info (posts, user accounts, etc.) Apparently his custom changes made a simple upgrade much more difficult :-S

So, if you want a completely blank forum, that could be arranged. If you want to keep all the old conversations, though, it's a bit more tricky.

Brock
1284786.  Tue May 22, 2018 12:18 pm Reply with quote

Well you could still keep the old forum as read-only, I suppose - that's what happened with another forum I take part in, where the old threads are still available for reference, but you can't contribute to them. (That may or may not be a good thing, depending on your view about resurrecting old threads.)

Jenny
1284796.  Tue May 22, 2018 5:19 pm Reply with quote

We like to keep old threads though.

We just had a mass registration of Russian spammers (at any rate all the email addresses were @botseo.ru). Luckily I saw and banned before they posted.

Page 1 of 1