View previous topic | View next topic

Quartermaster

Page 1 of 1

Janet H
1284436.  Fri May 18, 2018 5:03 pm Reply with quote

Now associated with running military stores, logisitics etc. Originally the Quartermaster arranged for the lodgings (Quarters) for the King.

Snowywebb
1288142.  Tue Jun 26, 2018 2:24 pm Reply with quote

Quartermaster is also used to describe storeman on outback cattle and buffalo stations in Australia.

My father was the quartermaster at the Point Stuart Buffalo Station in the Northern Territory for a while and did a daily commute into Darwin where he would mainly stock up on grog (beer).

Each worker was allocated one slab (24 cans) per day.

My Dad would usually arrive back at the Station around lunchtime and most of the workers would collect their slabs, which were generally over 50 degrees C having spent hours in the back of an uncovered Ute so they’d throw the slabs into the meat freezer (the Station had a complete abboittoir operation that prepared and packaged frozen buffalo meat for export) so their grog would be cold when they knocked off at about 3 pm.

However sometimes a worker would get way laid and forget to collect their slabs until knock off, in which case they’d still drink them - hot.

According to my father most of the workers on the Station were running away from something and whenever a police vehicle turned up the whole plant would empty, as the workers vanished into the scrub.

They’d wander back when they were absolutely sure the police had gone.

My father, who wasn’t given to exaggeration, watched in horror as a worker in his early 20’s stepped on a 3 inch nail in bare feet. It went right through, sticking out the top of his foot, turning my Dads stomach., The young man said a few words, sat down on the ground and pulled the nail out before continuing on his way..., they’re a tough breed, living a totally different reality.

crissdee
1288159.  Tue Jun 26, 2018 4:33 pm Reply with quote

Reminded me of this;

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z023prwCkgs

Snowywebb
1288173.  Tue Jun 26, 2018 11:33 pm Reply with quote

Yep... sherry will do that...

A few years ago we had a few problems with tourists going missing.

Some bright spark came up with this:

https://youtu.be/d4FqwQkWQo4

Page 1 of 1