View previous topic | View next topic

Rage, rage against a daughter's greed

Page 1 of 1

'yorz
1283536.  Mon May 07, 2018 12:27 pm Reply with quote

This is the story of Edith (96) and Eddie (95).
They met, both in their 90s, fell in love, and married.
Sweet, innit?

Not to Edith's daughter, who wanted to sell the house her mother lived in all these years.

Documentary

This is one of the occasions where I hope there is a hell.

Guardian article

bobwilson
1283558.  Mon May 07, 2018 8:00 pm Reply with quote

Whoa.

I haven’t watched the documentary (I watched the first 90 seconds and – well, it’s just not for me), but I did read the article.

There are a few “red flag” moments for me – not least of which is the repeated “Wright said”. In an article containing only 318 words the name “Wright” occurs six times, five of which introduce statements by Wright. I see no quotations from Barber?

I have no idea what the real story is here – and the fact that the court (who are in possession of a lot more information than I have) have basically told the Barber/Wright sisters to take ten paces away from each other whilst they (the court) figure out what is right and just suggests to me that the journalists who wrote this story have no idea either.

What the journalists appear to be focussed on is the “racial” aspect of this – black woman, white man. I mean – why

Quote:
The interracial aspect of the marriage also was unique because the two longtime Virginians would not have been allowed to marry if they had met in their 20s, 30s or 40s under state law at the time.

In what way is that unique? And of what relevance? They could have met in their 50’s, 60’s, 70’s or 80’s

To be fair to The Guardian – they do seem to be a bit embarrassed to run this story. Assuming it’s not a coded message to some obscure spy network to spring into action – what the (expletive deleted) is this doing on the pages of The Guardian?

'yorz
1283587.  Tue May 08, 2018 5:57 am Reply with quote

Perhaps the fact that it was an Oscar-nominated short film? The film left me with a lot of questions, too. But one cannot escape thefeeling that something was very wrong.
Just watch the film. The spoken words of both the man and the woman are not quoted in the articles, but neither was OK with what was decided over their heads. The woman may well have suffered from early onset-Alzheimer's, but she certainly didn't sound like it.
The biggest question for me is, what were the husband's rights? How was his wife's family legally capable of dragging her away from her husband and home, against her clearly voiced wishes?

bobwilson
1284452.  Fri May 18, 2018 8:11 pm Reply with quote

Quote:
Just watch the film.

I've tried - several times. But no.

Page 1 of 1