View previous topic | View next topic

What does your appendix do?

Page 1 of 1

Rufaida
1283428.  Sun May 06, 2018 11:13 am Reply with quote

the first paragraph in this topic seems to talk about the cecum as a parallel organ to our appendix in other primates.
but we have a cecum too.
it's connected to the appendix.
in some Arab societies people mistakenly refer to it as the blind gut, since the blind gut is supposed to be the cecum. so it was interesting to know that the word cecum has to do with "blind" in Latin.

Snowywebb
1288538.  Fri Jun 29, 2018 1:49 pm Reply with quote

It can make you sick... very very sick

And if itís not happy it can kill you.

But an indication that itís going to do so is to cause an extraordinary amount of pain if a doctor sticks his fingers into the skin on your side and pulls them out quickly as one did to me at about 9.30 one morning when I was 13.

At 11.30 my appendix burst as I was being put on the operating table.

Woke up that evening after a prolonged operation and it was gone and I havenít missed it since.

So what is it supposed to do?

ThursdayNext
1288736.  Sun Jul 01, 2018 2:27 pm Reply with quote

I researched this about ten years ago while I sat beside the hospital bed of my 16 year old daughter for a week while the hospital in the US refused to consider it might be her appendix (the doctor told me that teenage girls lie, so that was fun). She was, of course, telling the truth, and had appendicitis.

The appendix is analogous to a seed library. It stores copies of gut fauna so if you were to get something drastic like cholera and survive the complete cleanout of your gastrointestinal tract, your appendix would allow you to grow your gut biome back again.

https://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2009/08/090820175901.htm

Snowywebb
1288758.  Mon Jul 02, 2018 12:39 am Reply with quote

ThursdayNext wrote:

The appendix is analogous to a seed library. It stores copies of gut fauna so if you were to get something drastic like cholera and survive the complete cleanout of your gastrointestinal tract, your appendix would allow you to grow your gut biome back again.

https://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2009/08/090820175901.htm

Thatís interesting.

Iíd been misdiagnosed 12 months earlier as having gastro-enteritis... I was constantly ill for those 12 months and my parents decided to get a second opinion.

Had they delayed another few hours I wouldnít be writing this.

If the trauma of the appendix bursting hadnít killed me, the resulting peritonitis would have.

My body had created a sleeve around the appendix, like a fine silk spiders web to contain the infection when it had first developed but it still took the surgeon about 6 hours to clean the debris out of my abdomen before he finished the operation.

Since then Iíve also had my tonsils and gall bladder removed at different times.

The tonsils didnít make much difference but since having the gall bladder out Iíve had difficulty digesting meat and greasy food.

About the only spare parts I have left now are my kidneys.

crissdee
1288769.  Mon Jul 02, 2018 3:39 am Reply with quote

Snowywebb wrote:
About the only spare parts I have left now are my kidneys.

Depends on whether you want to survive donation, but even if you insist on that, there are a number of things you can give away without dying.

Snowywebb
1288772.  Mon Jul 02, 2018 4:26 am Reply with quote

crissdee wrote:

Depends on whether you want to survive donation, but even if you insist on that, there are a number of things you can give away without dying.

Unfortunately, because Iím on constant medication to manage the effects of Parkinsonís disease I cannot donate blood or be an organ donor.

I will be donating my cadaver to a university when I no longer have a use for it.

When theyíve finished with it theyíll cremate whatís left and return it to my family who will feed me to the fish off the local pier so I can see the world.

And Iíll live happily ever after!

dr.bob
1288787.  Mon Jul 02, 2018 6:04 am Reply with quote

ThursdayNext wrote:
I researched this about ten years ago while I sat beside the hospital bed of my 16 year old daughter for a week while the hospital in the US refused to consider it might be her appendix (the doctor told me that teenage girls lie, so that was fun).

WTF?!!

Sounds like grounds for a negligence lawsuit :-S

Page 1 of 1