View previous topic | View next topic

Fish tour Down Under

Page 1 of 2
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Mattau
1283023.  Wed May 02, 2018 1:14 pm Reply with quote

The shortest Highway and longest War Memorial on earth, are both in the state of Victoria, Australia.
Chandler Highway is only 1.4 Km long and runs between the adjoining suburbs of Kew and Alphington. In Melbourne. It has 6 sets of directional traffic lights. 2 sets for the Eastern Freeway that runs underneath the bridge and 4 sets for pedestrians alone. 5 for pedestrians if you include the one for the guide dog training school. I Do!

The longest War Memorial on earth is The Great Ocean Road. In the USA everything is "Grand" In Australia it is Great! 243 Kms. Built by retuned Diggers from The Great War. 6 years I believe to do it.
I am sure there many more traffic lights along the way than Chandler Highway.

2 Interesting facts for your tour Down Under. Be Sure to look at the moon.

Spud McLaren
1283030.  Wed May 02, 2018 2:16 pm Reply with quote

Welcome to QI, Mattau.

I have 2 questions:

1. What's the definition of a highway?
2. How are Diggers retuned? ;-)

Mattau
1283036.  Wed May 02, 2018 2:42 pm Reply with quote

1. https://www.onlymelbourne.com.au/world-s-shortest-highway-chandler-highway
2. Spelling mistake. sorry.

Still hope those facts can be in show!

Mattau
1283037.  Wed May 02, 2018 2:51 pm Reply with quote

$180 a ticket! And all sold out!

Mattau
1283038.  Wed May 02, 2018 3:04 pm Reply with quote

It is not for me to define what a Highway is.
It just is above us.
Diggers returned. Built The Great Ocean Road.
Fill us full about the ANZACS.

suze
1283042.  Wed May 02, 2018 5:00 pm Reply with quote

So are we defining "highway" as "any road of whatever kind whose 'surname' is 'Highway'"?

If we are, then I suggest that you check out The Highway, Stanmore, London Borough of Harrow. It is a residential road which runs north-eastwards from Kenton Lane, and comes to an end as a cul de sac after just 0.3 miles. This piece of Google Mappage includes the entire length of The Highway; its junction with Kenton Lane is bottom centre of the map just north of the bar called The Duck in the Pond.

Mattau
1283278.  Fri May 04, 2018 3:43 pm Reply with quote

Im just throwing the fact out there.
It isn't up to me to to do research in my off time for those that are full time paid. Yes, it might make it easier for them, but if i ask them tho fly over and do 50% of my job...

Mattau
1283279.  Fri May 04, 2018 3:44 pm Reply with quote

I work with a 5 foot 6 inch fox.

Alfred E Neuman
1283283.  Fri May 04, 2018 5:44 pm Reply with quote

Mattau wrote:
Im just throwing the fact out there.
It isn't up to me to to do research in my off time for those that are full time paid. Yes, it might make it easier for them, but if i ask them tho fly over and do 50% of my job...

Well, if you can't prove it, then how can you call it a fact? And yes, if you want to make a claim, it is up to you to at least provide some reference otherwise anyone can just go around making things up, which might be good enough for Donald Trump, but the rest of the world prefers a solid reference or two.

Brock
1283315.  Sat May 05, 2018 3:42 am Reply with quote

I think part of the problem here is that the word "highway" has different definitions in different parts of the English-speaking world. The legal definition in England and Wales is "a way over which all members of the public have the right to pass and repass without hindrance", i.e. any public road, whereas in North America the term is generally restricted to major routes constructed for the use of motor vehicles. I'm not sure what the definition is in Australia but I think it's similar to the American one.

Alfred E Neuman
1283375.  Sat May 05, 2018 3:56 pm Reply with quote

In my mind a highway has on and off ramps instead of robots, has a centre median of some sort and a relatively high speed limit.

But then that's the definition of a freeway, and we have roads whose name includes the word highway which do not conform to my personal definition. I honestly don't know how common my idea of a highway is over here, but it's commonly used to refer to a freeway type road.

suze
1283389.  Sat May 05, 2018 7:24 pm Reply with quote

We have already been told that a thoroughfare whose "surname" is "Road" does not disqualify the Chandler Highway from this distinction, on the basis that - whatever category of street it may be - its surname is "Road" and not "Highway".

If those are the rules, I can see no reason whatsoever to prefer the claim of the Chandler Highway over The Highway, Stanmore.

Alfred E Neuman
1283391.  Sun May 06, 2018 12:59 am Reply with quote

suze wrote:
We have already been told...

We have? I thought we had assumed.

crissdee
1283397.  Sun May 06, 2018 4:10 am Reply with quote

From the link in Mattau's second post, it would seem that we are looking for roads called "Highway", regardless of classification.

Brock
1283401.  Sun May 06, 2018 5:05 am Reply with quote

Well, Mattau did write "the shortest Highway" rather than "the shortest highway", in which case Chandler Highway is definitely not the shortest, as suze has shown. Can anyone beat The Highway, Stanmore?

Page 1 of 2
Goto page 1, 2  Next