View previous topic | View next topic

Q-Places

Page 1 of 2
Goto page 1, 2  Next

AlmondFacialBar
1284091.  Mon May 14, 2018 1:34 pm Reply with quote

Baryonyx wrote:
Omg I had such debates about the Greenland/Australia thing as a teenager!

As a pro-Australia Biggest Island-er, I used to get SO ANNOYED at the idea that Australia didn't count because it was too big. (Sorry Mr Bolt, you ran the 100m too fast, you are hereby categorised as non-human)

The best argument I heard to change my mind is that if Australia is an island, what is its mainland?

There is none, technically. The Australia is an island claim makes it the largest island of the mostly submerged continent of Oceania.

:-)

AlmondFacialBar

DVD Smith
1284114.  Mon May 14, 2018 6:50 pm Reply with quote

Australia is also wider than the Moon. In my head that makes it big enough to qualify as a continent. ;)

In fact I've arbitrarily decided that's where my island/continent cutoff point is - anything smaller in diameter than the Moon is an island. :)

suze
1284150.  Tue May 15, 2018 12:18 pm Reply with quote

DVD Smith wrote:
Australia is also wider than the Moon.

This is a fabulous piece of utterly useless information which I am determined to shoehorn into class at the earliest opportunity!

Brock
1284155.  Tue May 15, 2018 1:19 pm Reply with quote

As posted to this forum not so very long ago: post 1270538

DVD Smith
1284184.  Wed May 16, 2018 4:29 am Reply with quote

suze wrote:
DVD Smith wrote:
Australia is also wider than the Moon.

This is a fabulous piece of utterly useless information which I am determined to shoehorn into class at the earliest opportunity!

I love it because it gives you a good idea of how big the Earth would look from the surface of the Moon. Next time you see a full Moon, imagine that it's Australia and then the rest of the Earth around it. Always seems bigger than I originally thought.

Also as an aside, I saw the Solar Eclipse in Kentucky last August and the solar flares of the corona reached out at least three times as wide as the disc itself (as seen in this image here.) It was so much bigger than I could have possibly imagined. So that's all I think about when I see a full moon now.

Baryonyx
1284187.  Wed May 16, 2018 4:49 am Reply with quote

I saw on youtube (think it was a vsauce video) that the moon is suprisingly small in the night sky.

People were asked to guess how big an object, held at arms length, will just about cover the moon and most people reckoned a quarter/ten pence piece but the answer is actually the size of the hole a hole-punch makes.

Jenny
1284306.  Thu May 17, 2018 10:20 am Reply with quote

DVD - dr.bob of these forums, and mrs.dr.bob, were in Kentucky watching that eclipse last year - they had a few days in Vermont afterwards and Woodsman and I drove over from Maine to have lunch and a walk with them.

DVD Smith
1284308.  Thu May 17, 2018 11:11 am Reply with quote

Jenny wrote:
DVD - dr.bob of these forums, and mrs.dr.bob, were in Kentucky watching that eclipse last year - they had a few days in Vermont afterwards and Woodsman and I drove over from Maine to have lunch and a walk with them.

That's so cool! I love a good American roadtrip, we've done a few over the years. My ultimate goal is to visit all 50 states (ticked off 22 so far). Not been to Maine or Vermont yet, despite having been to New Hampshire in the middle, oddly.

After the eclipse we drove south to Nashville, then through Memphis and down to New Orleans. The eclipse was the main event though - it was #1 on my bucket list, and was a trip I'd been planning for nearly 20 years since watching the last UK eclipse on TV in 1999. It was the greatest experience of my life and somehow managed to be even better than I could possibly have dreamed ^_^

DVD Smith
1284373.  Fri May 18, 2018 6:27 am Reply with quote

In Queensland, the silver-headed antechinus, a recently-discovered rodent-like marsupial in the region, has been put on the Endangered Species list after the males keep dying through having too much sex.

During the three-week-long mating season, the males engage in sex sessions of up to 14 hours long at a time. These sessions go on so long that the males start producing fatal levels of testosterone in their bodies, causing them to keel over and die once the sex is over.

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2018-05-15/the-endangered-marsupial-killing-itself-with-too-much-sex/9762116

tetsabb
1284412.  Fri May 18, 2018 12:34 pm Reply with quote

One might think that, as long as they impregnate a few females during these sessions, the species would carry on.
Reading the article makes it clear that shagging oneself to death might not be as great a way of dying as it might first appear.

Jenny
1284424.  Fri May 18, 2018 2:04 pm Reply with quote

DVD - if you get a chance to come to Maine in late September/early October, it's gorgeous. Actually it's gorgeous for maybe seven months out of the year anyway (mid-April to mid-Nov, but in particular May through October) but I wouldn't recommend the winter unless you like to ski and not much else.

Janet H
1284439.  Fri May 18, 2018 5:13 pm Reply with quote

Quahog. The fictional abode of the Griffin family. Actually based on Providence, Rhode Island, I understand.

DVD Smith
1289441.  Sun Jul 08, 2018 3:47 pm Reply with quote

The Ihla de Queimada Grande is an island off the coast of Brazil also known as "Snake Island", because it contains the highest concentration of venomous snakes in the world. There are some estimates that the island's concentration is one snake for every square metre.

And these are no ordinary snakes. The island is home to the golden lancehead snake, a type of pit viper with venom five times more potent than other Brazilian snakes, capable of killing a person in under an hour.

The reason the snakes' venom is so potent is that their only prey is visiting birds, which they have to be able to take down in one bite before they can fly away – compared with other snakes who will bite their (ground-based) prey and then track it along the ground, waiting for it to succumb to the venom.

Because of the snakes' lethality, Brazil has banned anyone from setting foot on the island.* The only exceptions are for a crew of Navy personnel who maintain the island's automated lighthouse, and for research scientists, who are studying if the snakes' venom could be used to develop medicines to fight heart disease.

The snakes are considered critically endangered, and are incredibly valuable on the black market; one single snake can sell for $10,000-$30,000, while one gram of the snake's venom is reportedly worth more than its weight in gold (literally).

Sources: [1] [2] [3] [4]

*The ban means this topic could also work for the Quarantines thread.

Shruthi
1292537.  Sat Aug 11, 2018 12:57 pm Reply with quote

Who is hosting the next FIFA world cup??

QATAR!
Qatar will host the FIFA World Cup in 2022, although it has never qualified for the Cup before.

Currently the richest country in the world(set to be knocked off its perch by Macau by 2020), it is the biggest exporter of natural gas. It is more expensive to buy 2 cappuccino’s at Starbucks here than to fill a Hummer with a tank full of petrol because petrol is so cheap!

Qatar State was protected by Great Britain until 1971 when it became independent. In 1995, Crown Prince Khalifa announced freedom of the press and allowed women to vote.

The Pearl-Qatar in Doha, Qatar, is an artificial island spanning nearly four million square meters, is the first land in Qatar to be available for freehold ownership by foreign nationals. The name "The Pearl" was chosen because the island is being built on one of Qatar's previous major pearl diving sites. Qatar was one of the major pearl traders of Asia before the Japanese introduced cheaper more affordable pearls just before Qatar's oil boom. Once completed The Pearl will resemble a string of pearls.

https://www.middleeastmonitor.com/20180810-qatar-set-to-be-knocked-off-its-position-as-richest-country-in-the-world/
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Pearl-Qatar#Etymology
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2022_FIFA_World_Cup

[img] https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/0/07/Pearl-Qatar_Doha_Qatar_11Nov2017_SkySat.jpg [/img] (alt+p)

14-11-2014
1293833.  Fri Aug 24, 2018 9:51 am Reply with quote

The name of the hero of Quarte-Bras depens on the language of the history.

imdb.com wrote:
Rather than focusing upon one of the most significant battles in history, Cornwell's purpose seems to be to degrade the memory of the men who fought at Waterloo.

Much of this episode is dedicated to disparaging the man who would later become king William II of Holland. The opening scene shows him with a prostitute, and an ugly boil on his rear. Later, William's Dutch cavalry at Quatre Bras are portrayed as cowardly and refusing to charge when ordered to do so.

Cornwell gives William the nickname "Silly Billy" and portrays him as being a arrogant fool, but in reality, William's courage and good nature made him very popular with the British, who nicknamed him "Slender Billy".

The age 23 Prince William is shown as being responsible for losing the La Haye Sainte farm and the death of two of Sharpe's men. The fact is, William wasn't even in the farm when it was taken (about 6 PM). The farm was mostly burned by Napoleon's artillery and the area taken after an extremely fierce struggle. Sharpe is shown shooting William to get him off the battlefield, with MacDuff looking on from a wooden roof window at La Haye Sainte (but the French had just taken La Haye Sainte, and in reality, all the wooden buildings at the farm were burned by the time the French occupied the area). William was actually wounded about a half hour later, in a courageous but futile attempt to take back La Haye Sainte.

Page 1 of 2
Goto page 1, 2  Next