View previous topic | View next topic

Nose, Mouth and Emotions.

Page 1 of 1

sweepStroke
1282944.  Wed May 02, 2018 2:53 am Reply with quote

In rural India, and mostly in some urban states of India, it is common folklore that Hiccups are indications of someone missing you.

It is so believed, rather widely, too, that if a person is having hiccups, he/she is being missed/being thought of, by some other person at that exact same moment.

It has been, time and again, tagged an Old wives' tale, but the myth grows larger everyday.

Read - https://www.scoopwhoop.com/Why-They-Say-Someone-Is-Missing-You-When-You-Hiccup/#.fqfobocju

Also, it is popular belief that if someone sneezes right after you've made a statement, the likelihood of what you've just said, happening is very possible.

For example, If I say, "I want to go on a date with Elizabeth Olsen" and someone sneezes right after I finish this statement, the chances of me going on a date with Ms. Olsen are highly possible.

Yet another Old wives' tale, but the belief and practice of this is so widespread across India, that you'll be surprised.

Jenny
1283001.  Wed May 02, 2018 10:17 am Reply with quote

That's an interesting superstition - never heard that!

Welcome to the forums sweepStroke, and thank you for the contributions.

suze
1283011.  Wed May 02, 2018 11:33 am Reply with quote

sweepStroke wrote:
Also, it is popular belief that if someone sneezes right after you've made a statement, the likelihood of what you've just said, happening is very possible.

There's a comparable folk belief in parts of Central Europe. If you sneeze while some is saying something, this means that what is said is true.

This folk belief is most associated with Hungary, and is referenced in the stage musical Háry János, but I'm aware that it also exists in parts of Poland and in Slovakia.

'yorz
1283012.  Wed May 02, 2018 11:35 am Reply with quote

In the Netherlands, if someone sneezes thrice, people will say, "Ah, that means nice weather, tomorrow!".
If someone sneezes twice, people will therefore beg for a third one.

Spud McLaren
1283026.  Wed May 02, 2018 1:50 pm Reply with quote

Do you think I could make a living in the Netherlands by sneezing? It's rare for me to sneeze less than seven times in a session.

'yorz
1283027.  Wed May 02, 2018 1:53 pm Reply with quote

Not sure - I seem to remember that 4+ sneezes are the harbinger of bad weather.

Spud McLaren
1283031.  Wed May 02, 2018 2:21 pm Reply with quote

Oh, well, then, England being England is just down to me.

Page 1 of 1