View previous topic | View next topic

Queen and Country

Page 1 of 1

Alexander Howard
1282054.  Sun Apr 22, 2018 5:58 pm Reply with quote

Back to something I mention ages ago - Bruce Willis has made a fortune off the back of the Middlesex Regiment (which later became part of the Queen's regiment, and now of the Princess of Wales's Royal Regiment). Whether he knows it or not, you'd have to ask him.

Feralcat
1282055.  Sun Apr 22, 2018 6:21 pm Reply with quote

Intrigued

Do go on...

I don't watch anything with Bruce Willis in it, so if I need that info to guess, I,m hammered.

Not having go at Bruce Willis. Just never had an interest in the sort of things he appears in, so he is a complete unknown to me.

Alexander Howard
1282074.  Mon Apr 23, 2018 6:07 am Reply with quote

16 May 1811; the Battle of Albuhera. The 57th Regiment of Foot, the East Middlesex, held a slight ridge against repeated charges and cannonades from the French under Soult. Despite massive causalities they budged not an inch: after the battle the dead were found still lying in their ranks 'as if on parade'.

In the fiercest fighting Lt-Col Inglis was cut down by a cannonball and as he lay on the ground he called out "Die Hard, 57th! Die Hard!".

(The French eventually were forced to withdraw, which kept open the fortified supply route from Portugal, allowing Wellington to advance to liberate Spain. Inglis survived, incidentally. 16 May is today celebrated as 'Middlesex Day'.)

After this, the regiment and its successor, the Middlesex Regiment, were nicknamed 'The Die Hards'.

There are several stories of the regiment living up to its name, including at least one Captain dying in a trench in 1916 calling out 'Die Hard, Middlesex! Die Hard!'

All those Bruce Willis films have nicked a phrase belonging to the Middlesex Regiment.

'yorz
1282105.  Mon Apr 23, 2018 9:58 am Reply with quote

@Feralcat - you really should give The Sixth Sense a go. Very different to his usual fodder. Most people will want to see it twice, so as to with hindsight appreciate the whole story even more.

Feralcat
1282131.  Mon Apr 23, 2018 4:41 pm Reply with quote

Fascinating stuff and didnt know that background. I have some books on the period but they are constantly being pushed back by new stuff of higher priority - mostly ww2 air force

I know nothing of The Sixth Sense.

Is it a film?

I live in a very isolated tiny village

About 4 shops in main street

No library or cinema, of course, but I have a library that takes up 4 rooms of different interests.

'yorz
1282132.  Mon Apr 23, 2018 4:58 pm Reply with quote

Well, you were talking about Bruce Willis, so - yes, it's a movie. Bound to be a copy you can rent from your nearest library.

Feralcat
1282216.  Tue Apr 24, 2018 3:09 pm Reply with quote

I don't have a near library. I have my own library - but that only has stuff I have bought as of interest, so on unknown things, I usually have to hunt up on internet. I asked so that I didn't look up a tv series/film with same name but not on same subject and/or with same writer/actors. - which has happened in past. I don't know Bruce Willis career well enough to know if he now only does film stuff.

I tend to not go regularly enough to a big enough town to borrow and return things on time, from libraries.

I asked if it was a film as it might have been a tv series and I dont't have access to current tv. Just dvds I buy

Alexander Howard
1312973.  Fri Feb 08, 2019 6:49 pm Reply with quote

The Black Watch regiment serves in which country's armed forces? I'm looking for klaxons.

Bondee
1312992.  Sat Feb 09, 2019 5:03 am Reply with quote

Alexander Howard wrote:
All those Bruce Willis films have nicked a phrase belonging to the Middlesex Regiment.

Yippee-ki-yay, motherfucker!

suze
1313007.  Sat Feb 09, 2019 6:55 am Reply with quote

Alexander Howard wrote:
The Black Watch regiment serves in which country's armed forces? I'm looking for klaxons.

I've given the rest of the world twelve hours, so I'll be really boring.

The answer to the question is Canada. The longer-standing Scottish Black Watch is by now but a battalion within (a regiment whose name someone else can supply).

GuyBarry
1313012.  Sat Feb 09, 2019 7:14 am Reply with quote

The Royal Regiment of Scotland (from Wikipedia).

Alexander Howard
1313189.  Mon Feb 11, 2019 1:18 pm Reply with quote

Yup.

And then there are the Atholl Highlanders...

(which I originally typed as 'Atoll Highlanders'; a contradiction unless they were stationed permanently in the BIOT or somewhere).

Page 1 of 1