View previous topic | View next topic

Q-Animals

Page 2 of 2
Goto page Previous  1, 2

DVD Smith
1292377.  Thu Aug 09, 2018 3:52 pm Reply with quote

Thanks to Shruthi in the Quagga thread for pointing me toward this...

The Quagga catshark is a bottom-dwelling fish found in the Indian Ocean, named because its striped pattern bears a resemblance to the quaggas described above.

Only nine specimens have ever been recorded - one male sometime before 1899, four males in 1964 and two males and two females in 2010. This makes it 121 years between the first recording of the male and the first recording of the female of the species, which must be some kind of record.

This also means that there are over twice as many quagga specimens left in the world (an animal that went extinct in 1883) as the number of quagga catsharks ever seen.

Other types of catshark:
- The balloon shark, inflates its stomach with air or water as a defence mechanism.
- The Pinoccchio catshark, which has a long protruding nose. [1]
- Who lives in a pineapple under the sea? Spongehead Catshark!

Another shark that inflates to defend itself is the swell shark, which basically turns itself into a rubber ring to escape predators - it loops round and bites its own tail, then immediately starts swallowing loads of water until it doubles in size. [2]

I got on a whole tangent looking up different sharks so I made a post in the QI Animals forum to share what I found there.

DVD Smith
1295906.  Fri Sep 21, 2018 6:49 am Reply with quote

Not an animal but I didn't feel like starting a whole new thread to share one fact.

The Durand oak tree, Quercus sinuata, is also known as the "bastard oak". One of several trees with this nickname, reportedly named such because of the inferior quality of its timber. [1][2]

DVD Smith
1297572.  Thu Oct 04, 2018 6:28 am Reply with quote

In a study by Visme of 290,000 dog names across America, 75 dogs were found with names that were 1 letter long.

The most common one-letter dog name? Q.

http://blog.visme.co/dog-names/

Page 2 of 2
Goto page Previous  1, 2