QWERTY

Page 3 of 5
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Jenny
1289106.  Thu Jul 05, 2018 9:11 am Reply with quote

That could be a fun one.

swot
1289127.  Thu Jul 05, 2018 10:24 am Reply with quote

I remember reading about phpects in New Scientist a while ago, which was a problem that occurred when website moved over from asp to php, which we used here. Someone did a clumsy find-and-replace job to replace any mention of asp, which ended up changing it in words that didn't need changing.

suze
1289135.  Thu Jul 05, 2018 11:35 am Reply with quote

See also the American sprinter (and pharmaceutical cheat) Tyson Homosexual.

That is how a website called OneNewsNow named him, because his real surname was a banned word on that website.

Evening Standard

Alexander Howard
1289143.  Thu Jul 05, 2018 12:13 pm Reply with quote

I once wrote on my own site a piece about Colchester (or something) and was blocked. I asked the webhost and they found it was because I referred to the University of Essex campus.

DVD Smith
1291657.  Wed Aug 01, 2018 8:10 am Reply with quote

For most operating systems, the "SysRq" (system request) key on your keyboard has no purpose whatsoever, and the computer will actively ignore the button if it's pressed. The only exception to this is in Linux, where the OS has been programmed to use the SysRq key to recover from crashes. [1] [2]

Simon C
1314498.  Sat Feb 23, 2019 4:06 pm Reply with quote

The American film and television writer Ranald MacDougall occasionally used the pseudonym Quentin Werty on his screenplays.

Jenny
1314558.  Sun Feb 24, 2019 3:46 pm Reply with quote

I like that! Source, please?

GuyBarry
1314560.  Sun Feb 24, 2019 3:49 pm Reply with quote

IMDb has it.

Jenny
1314564.  Sun Feb 24, 2019 3:57 pm Reply with quote

Thanks Guy - I actually went and looked there.

Simon C
1314594.  Mon Feb 25, 2019 5:57 am Reply with quote

Beaten to it! I spotted the name in a TVTimes listing for the film The Mercenaries, but needed IMDb to tell me who it really was.

AlmondFacialBar
1314610.  Mon Feb 25, 2019 7:30 am Reply with quote

The Zamonia book series by Walter Moers (at least the first of which has been translated, as The 13 1/2 Lives Of Captain Bluebear, and is well worth reading) features an amoeboid alien by the name of Qwert ZuiopŘ or, in the English translation, Qwerty Uiop. It's always struck me as one of the more fun ways of coming up with a name for a very strange alien in a very strange universe.

:-)

AlmondFacialBar

Simon C
1314853.  Wed Feb 27, 2019 9:58 am Reply with quote

In a standard qwertyuiop keyboard, the word "typewriter" can be generated by using only the upper alphabetic row of keys. I believe - though I don't know how I would prove - that although there are other words of the same length which may be produced this way (e.g. "perpetuity") there are no words of more than ten letters which can be produced in this way.

suze
1314862.  Wed Feb 27, 2019 11:22 am Reply with quote

The way to prove it would be to get yourself a big dictionary and check every word to see if it fits and is longer than ten letters. Fortunately for you, people using computers have already done it.

They found the word RUPTUREWORT, containing eleven letters. It's a plant related to the carnation, scientific name Herniaria glabra, and it gets its common name because it contains a chemical which was at one time used in the treatment of hernias.

POWERTRIPPER (twelve letters) is occasionally suggested. There are a handful of citations, but it's not in any of the major dictionaries at this time.

Simon C
1315818.  Thu Mar 07, 2019 8:33 am Reply with quote

You're right, though that would only be a way to prove it wrong.

suze
1317002.  Mon Mar 18, 2019 12:52 pm Reply with quote

Further typewriter related trivia ...

Those who have been following the British government's attempt to leave the European Union may have heard the word prorogation this afternoon. That is the term for the ending of a session of Parliament.

The terminology of the Parliament of Canada is in most cases borrowed directly from that of Westminster, but in this matter there is a slight difference. In Canada, the noun from to prorogue is proroguement rather than prorogation.

Proroguement is the longest word in which every letter is properly typed with alternating hands. (Thanks to Mr J Eggshaped for this one.)

Page 3 of 5
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next