View previous topic | View next topic

Q Foods

Page 2 of 2
Goto page Previous  1, 2

suze
1281332.  Sun Apr 15, 2018 9:38 am Reply with quote

crissdee wrote:
According to dear old Jack Hargreaves on "How" (which will raise a smile from anyone who grew up in the UK in the seventies).

That show is outwith my experience, but the good husband reacted much as you predicted. Thanks to the wonders of the Interwebs, I have now seen the show's opening credits. That music was ahead of its time!

"Dear old Jack Hargreaves" (1911-1994) apparently wanted viewers to believe that he lived in a log cabin in the New Forest, although in truth he was a TV executive as well as a presenter and lived in a town house in Southampton. He had a rather complicated personal life involving five marriages and seven children, and smoked his pipe on children's television in a way that would certainly not be allowed now.

I was familiar with Fred Dinenage because he still appears on Meridian Tonight in the south of England. He has but one marriage and three children to his name, one of whom is the Conservative MP Caroline Dinenage (or Mrs Lancaster, since Theresa May apparently does not approve of woman MPs choosing not to use their married names).

Husband's memory of Jon Miller was that he wore a brown suit and "looked like a middle manager at the council who thinks he's important", while Marian Davies - the woman presenter shown in the clip - was after husband's time. He remembers Bunty James, who turns out still to be alive. Now 85, she lives in the far north of Scotland and has not been seen on TV for a generation.

sillyhacks
1295638.  Mon Sep 17, 2018 12:49 pm Reply with quote

Some jokers in France (French distillers) use quinoa to make vodka. 1

Quinoa is in the Amaranthaceae family 2, which includes “beets, spinach, and tumbleweeds”. 3

So, since it's doing it's own thing, not belonging to the grass family, it's "a pseudo cereal rather than a true cereal, or grain". 3

Page 2 of 2
Goto page Previous  1, 2