View previous topic | View next topic

Peter Ustinov

Page 1 of 1

Emma1
1280700.  Tue Apr 10, 2018 6:47 am Reply with quote

When Ustinov was playing Nero in Quo Vadis (1951) the only direction given to him by the director, Mervyn LeRoy, was that Nero was "the kinda guy who played with himself nights".
Ustinov believes this to be the most profound thing ever said about Nero.

Source:
'Dear Me', Peter Ustinov.
http://www.screenonline.org.uk/audio/id/1124365/index.html

'yorz
1280708.  Tue Apr 10, 2018 8:07 am Reply with quote

Nice one, Emma! More whence that came?
I love Peter Ustinov. Such an interesting man. I still remember his televised grand tour of the Hermitage, together with Natalie Wood, both conversing in Russian. Delightful!

tetsabb
1280722.  Tue Apr 10, 2018 9:32 am Reply with quote

Ustinov would have been a great guest on a well-known panel show, wouldn't he?

suze
1280735.  Tue Apr 10, 2018 10:50 am Reply with quote

'yorz wrote:
I still remember his televised grand tour of the Hermitage, together with Natalie Wood, both conversing in Russian.

I don't believe that I ever saw that, but I was of course aware that Peter Ustinov's heritage was partly Russian (although more German and Polish). Accordingly, I'm not surprised that he could speak Russian.

But until just now, I don't think I'd ever known that Natalie Wood was also of partly Russian (and Ukrainian) heritage, and was born Natalja Zacharienko.

What, if anything, Anthony Di Nozzo Snr had to do with her mysterious death by drowning is something that we shall probably never know.

'yorz
1280738.  Tue Apr 10, 2018 11:15 am Reply with quote

I thought Ms Wood's roots were common knowledge. Should have added that snippet to my post.
Mea maxima et cetera.

suze
1280744.  Tue Apr 10, 2018 12:42 pm Reply with quote

Oh, they probably are. I'm reading that her father spent part of his childhood in Vancouver which is even more reason why I should have known of the Russian heritage, but such is life.

Page 1 of 1