View previous topic | View next topic

New Zealand wouldn't struggle with shallow sun light

Page 1 of 1

Jayman
1280135.  Tue Apr 03, 2018 4:09 pm Reply with quote

During season 8 episode 15, at around the 38 minute mark, Alan claims that drivers suffer bad sun strike in New Zealand, due to its low latitude.

Having been exposed to persistently shallow sun light in my high-latitude native country of Sweden and referencing the globe, I cannot agree.

The southernmost point of NZ is exposed to the solar angular equivalent of Paris or Seattle, so I would venture that Alan's claim is incorrect - and he should therefore be punished by a significant point deduction in the future.

Alfred E Neuman
1280151.  Wed Apr 04, 2018 3:42 am Reply with quote

Just to be pedantic, New Zealand is not at a low latitude, but a moderately high latitude. Low latitudes are near the equator, high latitudes (either north or south) are closer to the poles.

Hereís a map showing New Zealandís latitude superimposed over Europe.

CB27
1280158.  Wed Apr 04, 2018 4:17 am Reply with quote

Sunstrike is taken quite seriously in new Zealand, especially around winter time (which is the opposite time of the year in Europe).

Which is not surprising for me because I complain of sun strike every winter here in London, and feel blinded at times. It's only when I travel below 40 degrees that I don't find myself blinded by the sun. Don't forget that until my teenage years I lived below 35 degrees, so the change is very noticable.

Page 1 of 1