View previous topic | View next topic

Reliability of sampling techniques

Page 2 of 2
Goto page Previous  1, 2

GuyBarry
1280008.  Mon Apr 02, 2018 7:37 am Reply with quote

Not trolling at all, and I certainly wasn't questioning the validity of the study. On the contrary, it sounds like a very thorough and well-researched piece of work with many valuable conclusions.

I was questioning the abuse of survey data in advertising campaigns. I think it's very misleading to use results from a survey like this to make claims like "1.2 million people have undiagnosed diabetes". The survey doesn't make that claim itself (as far as I can tell). It's an extrapolation from survey data that isn't warranted by the research methodology.

RLDavies
1280016.  Mon Apr 02, 2018 9:48 am Reply with quote

I haven't looked into the studies, but I'm willing to bet that the "undiagnosed diabetes" figure is based on the numbers of people who seek medical care for some other reason and are then found to have diabetes. This is the sort of figure that is readily accessible to NHS management and epidemiologists.

crissdee
1280046.  Mon Apr 02, 2018 2:17 pm Reply with quote

Like the large number of people that get medically discharged from HM Forces for previously undiagnosed asthma. Its only when you work as hard as you do during basic training, that it shows up.

barbados
1280068.  Tue Apr 03, 2018 12:55 am Reply with quote

Do you have the results of the survey used to extrapolate the data that you claim is incorrect?

Page 2 of 2
Goto page Previous  1, 2