View previous topic | View next topic

Senior moment leads to befuddlement Back Again...

Page 1 of 2
Goto page 1, 2  Next

ali
1278434.  Wed Mar 21, 2018 4:13 am Reply with quote

Welcome aboard/back. I'll put the kettle on.

BBCode is what allows you to do things like this, or this, or mark quotes like this:

Geoffrey Chaucer wrote:
Whan that Aprille with his shoures soote
The droghte of Marche hath perced to the roote,
And bathed every veyne in swich licour,
Of which vertu engendred is the flour;
Whan Zephirus eek with his swete breeth
Inspired hath in every holt and heeth
The tendre croppes, and the yonge sonne
Hath in the Ram his halfe cours y-ronne,
And smale fowles maken melodye,
That slepen al the night with open ye,
(So priketh hem nature in hir corages:
Than longen folk to goon on pilgrimages,

or add links to stuff. And so on.

Jenny
1278471.  Wed Mar 21, 2018 9:38 am Reply with quote

Wouldn't be lapsedcat by any chance would it? Or I may be confusing you with a poster from another talk board (yes, Virginia, there are other talk boards...)

Welcome back anyway :-)

tetsabb
1278493.  Wed Mar 21, 2018 11:11 am Reply with quote

A prodigal returns. Hurrah!

Feralcat
1278555.  Wed Mar 21, 2018 6:44 pm Reply with quote

I didnt post much and didnt know anybody and I would imagine nobody even noticed I was gone. Thanks for the welcome

I wouldnt know how to add things to my post to possibly need the BBCode I am old and all instructions and explanations for using smart phones and computers is automatically rendered white noise by my brain.

I used to be able to do links I think they are called, with my cumputer but now on mobile phone I have lost that ability and can only send things to pals if I see those sms or email options offered

I CAN offer a site that may entertain if not seen before, especially if you are interested in engineering or WW2 or flying

Type in THEY COULD HEAR IT BEFORE THEY THEY COULD SEE IT

You are looking for the article by Alan Ostrum

It is the true story of a US bomber that made it back. I don't research a ot of US stuff - but I love a gobsmacker story. Read and imagine it - thrilling! But don't leave the site until you have gone right to the bottom, as there are photos!

Don't cheat and look first!

Feralcat
1278557.  Wed Mar 21, 2018 7:05 pm Reply with quote

Bit confused.

I did log in and it says Feralcat is logged in at the top - but it says no registered people using only 11 guests on the site

Feralcat
1278558.  Wed Mar 21, 2018 7:05 pm Reply with quote

Sorry

I double posted

Last edited by Feralcat on Thu Mar 22, 2018 11:36 am; edited 1 time in total

ali
1278560.  Wed Mar 21, 2018 7:26 pm Reply with quote

If you enter a subforum, Knock Knock for instance, the board stats don't see you for some reason. You can see other people, but not yourself. Sometimes, confusion is actually due to things not making sense.

bobwilson
1278570.  Wed Mar 21, 2018 8:45 pm Reply with quote

Quote:
Sometimes, confusion is actually due to things not making sense.

That should be on a t-shirt

crissdee
1278587.  Thu Mar 22, 2018 4:01 am Reply with quote

+1

Baryonyx
1278603.  Thu Mar 22, 2018 6:02 am Reply with quote

For those who like clicking links:

http://www.398th.org/History/Articles/Remembrances/Ostrom_FortressHome.html

Jenny
1278636.  Thu Mar 22, 2018 10:23 am Reply with quote

Wow - what a story!

Feralcat
1278651.  Thu Mar 22, 2018 11:33 am Reply with quote

It is a favorite story to share.

I research Allied Bomber crew - tho' not so much on the US side - but I cant resist a great, thrilling or inspiring story

Mainly, I research those who died

Thank you for providing the link

If I am in a queue anywhere, I often end up asking any of the older men if they have a smart phone and tell them if they want to read something thrilling from WW2 and fill five mins, to type in THEY COULD... and read the article by Alan Ostrum.

Feralcat
1278664.  Thu Mar 22, 2018 12:17 pm Reply with quote

Probably far better known and publicised is the story of Charlie Brown and Franz Stigler

A story of compassion and chivalry from the German side and the 2 men finding each other before they died.

They spoke by phone but then actually met face to face as old men, and it was recorded and is easily found just with the words charlie brown and bomber. I read recently of it happening with another badly shot up allied crew. They were being stalked by a German fighter, with plane so badly shot up and wounded and dying on board. They sent SOS messages with an Aldiss? lamp and fired a few red emergency flares and it briefly flew up beside them, waggled its wings and flew off, throwing away a very easy 1 towards a tally as an air ace

Another fabulous story to share - but much better known and publicised

Prof Wind Up Merchant
1280381.  Fri Apr 06, 2018 2:12 pm Reply with quote

Welcome Feralcat.

Feralcat
1280436.  Sat Apr 07, 2018 5:11 am Reply with quote

Thanks PWUM...

Another story I read last week was about 5 US brothers and 2 close mates who.served on the same US ship in WW2 and were all killed I think the 5 brothers were Sullivan? I should check details before responding spontaneously!

There were 4 other brothers on that ship from a different family and I think only months before, they had discussed what horror tbeir family would face if the worst happened on that ship, and 2 of the brothers had requested transfers to another ship and so survived the war

A lot.of brothers would join up and serve together in the US services but the Sullivan tragedy received a lot of publicity and there were instructions to not forward requests for family to serve together but I read that it wasnt strongly followed and requests were often granted.

Page 1 of 2
Goto page 1, 2  Next