Nerve agent attack

Page 5 of 5
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5

'yorz
1280303.  Thu Apr 05, 2018 6:09 pm Reply with quote

Hat?

suze
1280307.  Thu Apr 05, 2018 6:30 pm Reply with quote

I was being polite. Lord knows why I was being polite about that individual, but there we are.

You may, if you wish, substitute other places whence Boris may have been talking.

Prof Wind Up Merchant
1280387.  Fri Apr 06, 2018 2:30 pm Reply with quote

This is looking like we will never know the source of the Novichok that was used in the attack. Key information will be withheld in the investigation. This tit-for-tat diplomat expulsions will do nothing to help the case. This is all farcicle.

'yorz
1280391.  Fri Apr 06, 2018 2:45 pm Reply with quote

And farcical as well. :-)

Spud McLaren
1280395.  Fri Apr 06, 2018 3:23 pm Reply with quote

A farcicle is a product of the Cold War.

barbados
1280434.  Sat Apr 07, 2018 4:50 am Reply with quote

Farcicle (adj) when you have to park your bike a mile away from the station

crissdee
1281622.  Wed Apr 18, 2018 5:14 pm Reply with quote

There was something on the news earlier, which I may have misheard due to not being entirely sober. Tbh, I'm still not in a state to drive legally. Anywho, some Russian guy was talking about being involved in the production of novichok, and having had his hand contaminated. The action he took to clean it was to dip his hand in hydrchloric acid!!!!

What kind of sh*t are we talking about here when the preferred course of action in the event of contamination is to dip your f*cking hand in acid?

dr.bob
1281660.  Thu Apr 19, 2018 4:07 am Reply with quote

I think using acid as a handwash is surprisingly common among certain branches of the sciences. I certainly remember, when I was an undergraduate, talking to a chemistry student. He told me that the standard way to clean your hands after a day of handling potentially deadly chemicals was to wash with Sulphuric Acid.

Apparently you dip your hands into concentrated acid and then very quickly rinse them off under plenty of clean water. Not sure if that would still be allowed these days, but I can imagine that Russian health and safety is maybe not quite as strict as ours.

suze
1281695.  Thu Apr 19, 2018 11:57 am Reply with quote

Ha! And yikes! I don't think that would be allowed any more, no.

Mind you, the good husband tells me that when he was a young man and still needed to prove to cricketing types that he was a useful fellow to have around, he'd often help out with the - dull but necessary - task of painting the lines on the pitch.

As a smoker in those days, once the work was done he'd light a cigarette and then go in search of something which would get the non-water-soluble paint off his hands. Since the heavy roller needed it, there was a can of a suitable solvent readily available. Petrol.

Jenny
1281696.  Thu Apr 19, 2018 11:59 am Reply with quote

When I was doing Art A level in 1968 we did some silk screen printing, and the only thing we were given to wash off the printer ink from the equipment and our hands was turps. Don't think that would be allowed now!

Page 5 of 5
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5