View previous topic | View next topic

Sledging (in cricket, not on snow)

Page 4 of 5
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

franticllama
1279479.  Wed Mar 28, 2018 11:41 am Reply with quote

Not that I'm aware of, I've never had any use for it in my kit bag.
The only possible scenario I could come up with would be to get rid of a stray splinter or sticky up bit on a bat.

Damn. Ninja'd by Suze who also had a much more complete answer

suze
1279486.  Wed Mar 28, 2018 12:12 pm Reply with quote

Ha! I don't suppose for a moment that your hockey stick is wooden, but in the days when most of them were, a hockey player might carry sandpaper for similar reasons.

Bondee
1279500.  Wed Mar 28, 2018 1:28 pm Reply with quote

The last few posts have brought back a childhood memory. One of my neighbours was a keen cricketer. He would regularly give his bat a once-over with some fine sandpaper and then polish it with linseed oil. I remember the smell of the oil wafting down the street on a summer evening while we rode up and down on our bikes.

tetsabb
1279502.  Wed Mar 28, 2018 1:44 pm Reply with quote

Very evocative smell, linseed oil.

And what did I say earlier about allowing The Game to be played by non-Gentlemen?
Tut.

suze
1279536.  Wed Mar 28, 2018 5:55 pm Reply with quote

Husband informs me that he will be oiling his bat over the Easter weekend. Much as he has stood down as captain and won't be playing "seriously" this year, you didn't really think he had retired completely, did you?

He's not going to play every week, because he's keen to see the 1st XI playing in the division into which he got them promoted. But it's not unusual for the 4th XI to find at 9.00 on Friday evening that it has only ten players for the morrow's game, and that's when he might "reluctantly" get into the white outfit and bowl some offbreaks.

When he broached this subject to me, he was afraid that I'd be unhappy about it. Why would I be? It's what he does, and I wouldn't dream of stopping him from doing it.

Alfred E Neuman
1279559.  Thu Mar 29, 2018 2:48 am Reply with quote

So, the six words that save Lehmann from being dismissed were “What the fuck is going on?”, which was his response to the images of Bancroft sanding the ball. Fair enough.

I’m still predicting that he won’t be the coach for very much longer.

tetsabb
1279579.  Thu Mar 29, 2018 6:13 am Reply with quote

Oddly, they were probably the last words uttered by the mayors off Hiroshima and Nagasaki, just before they lost their jobs.
Except in Japanese.

crissdee
1279595.  Thu Mar 29, 2018 6:48 am Reply with quote

Also the guys guarding the Mohne Dam in 1942(?)

Except in German.

barbados
1279598.  Thu Mar 29, 2018 7:24 am Reply with quote

So, Lehmann has "jumped" suggesting that cricket Australia needs a complete overhaul.
Although I wonder if they can recover from the withdrawal of the team sponsor?

brunel
1279599.  Thu Mar 29, 2018 8:01 am Reply with quote

Alfred E Neuman wrote:
So, the six words that save Lehmann from being dismissed were “What the fuck is going on?”, which was his response to the images of Bancroft sanding the ball. Fair enough.

I’m still predicting that he won’t be the coach for very much longer.

And it seems that "won’t be the coach for very much longer" turned out to be 24 hours with the news that Lehmann is standing down at the end of the current test in South Africa (though, as others note, it sounds more like he was persuaded to stand down). http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/cricket/43584435

suze
1279608.  Thu Mar 29, 2018 9:57 am Reply with quote

Given that this comes only one day after he had said that he would not be resigning, it does seem likely that he was pushed.

The favourite to replace him is reckoned to be Justin Langer, but no thank you. Nothing against Mr Langer, but do we need yet more excuses for Andy to tell his "The day I got Justin Langer out" story? In any case, the good man says he would place his single Zimbabwean dollar on Jason Gillespie.

tetsabb
1279662.  Fri Mar 30, 2018 4:27 am Reply with quote

suze wrote:
Husband informs me that he will be oiling his bat over the Easter weekend..

I initially thought this was an euphemism.
Perhaps it is.
😉

suze
1279674.  Fri Mar 30, 2018 7:40 am Reply with quote

That opportunity for smut completely passed me by!

But I really was referring to his 2' 8¾" of willow rather than anything else. In stuff I just learned, the maximum length of a cricket bat is 3' 2", but in practice no one makes them quite that long since only a player who was 7' tall would be able to wield so long a bat properly.

There are several sizes readily available, ranging from Size 3 (2' 4¾") which is aimed at people of around eight years old, to Long Handle (2' 10⅜") aimed at people who stand in excess of 6'3". Andy has always used a bat of size Harrow, which is an odd name but perhaps suggests that it is aimed mainly at older schoolboys, as indeed it is.

It's an uncommon choice for an adult, but apparently the Great Sir Leonard Hutton - of whom some of you probably know more than I - also favoured it.

At 5' 8", Andy is on the short side of average for an adult man; at 5' 7", his daughter is tall for an adult woman. She actually uses a bigger bat than he does (a Short Handle, 2' 9½") despite being slightly shorter - and she's done a thing which Andy hasn't done for many many years and bought herself a new one for 2018.

But no bat oiling today. That had been the plan, but because bat oiling is best done outdoors and it's pissing down, it will wait another day.

crissdee
1279730.  Fri Mar 30, 2018 12:30 pm Reply with quote

I tried oiling my bat the other day, and the little f*cker bit me! I now have to get a rabies shot.........

tetsabb
1279739.  Fri Mar 30, 2018 1:51 pm Reply with quote

Oh dear, once I had raised the smut factor, I wondered where crissdee's utterance was going....😉

Page 4 of 5
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next