View previous topic | View next topic

PJ's

Page 1 of 2
Goto page 1, 2  Next

crissdee
1276639.  Wed Mar 07, 2018 10:01 am Reply with quote

Inspired by my struggles with my dad, morning and evening, and also by David Mitchell's rant on a past episode.

Pyjamas or Pajamas. Many questions arise.

Firstly, (and with credit to David for broaching the issue) why collars? As he mentioned, it's not like you're going to wear a tie with them or anything.

Secondly, pockets. Who (apart from my dad*) actually puts anything in the pocket of their pyjama jacket?

Thirdly, why wear them at all?

Fourthly, and perhaps most importantly, pAjamas or pYjamas? Is there a difference, if so what is it?

*this morning he had his nail file in there!

GuyBarry
1276646.  Wed Mar 07, 2018 11:55 am Reply with quote

crissdee wrote:

Fourthly, and perhaps most importantly, pAjamas or pYjamas? Is there a difference, if so what is it?

US vs British.

suze
1276649.  Wed Mar 07, 2018 12:36 pm Reply with quote

That's about it.

We take the word pyjama from the Hindi पैजामा, which referred to a light trouser similar to the bottom half of a suit of pyjamas. Such trousers were worn in India, and were considered mainly as Muslim clothing.

Now, is PWUM around when we need him? If anyone here can read Hindi, can they confirm the dictionary's assertion that this would be Romanized as paijama, with the first vowel comparable to that of pie?

That might explain why we spell it with a <y> in British English, much as we don't pronounce it in the way that would suggest.

crissdee wrote:
Thirdly, why wear them at all?

Why indeed. Some may be too cold without their pyjamas, and some may consider it improper to get in and out of bed with nothing on.

I have neither concern and I don't wear pyjamas, so I can't really explain why most people do seem to.

tetsabb
1276653.  Wed Mar 07, 2018 1:01 pm Reply with quote

I have not used pyjamas for 40+ years.
Occasionally I have worn a scruffy old t-shirt* to bed if suffering from a bad cold, as one can apply some olbas oil to it to help keep the nostrils clear. During the very cold nights last week I thought of donning one for warmth reasons
*Most of my t-shirts are old and scruffy.

Alfred E Neuman
1276654.  Wed Mar 07, 2018 1:02 pm Reply with quote

Aren't they just for young children to wear between bath time and bed time?

tetsabb
1276657.  Wed Mar 07, 2018 1:04 pm Reply with quote

What, my old and scruffy t-shirts?

Pickypete
1276682.  Wed Mar 07, 2018 2:46 pm Reply with quote

The wearing of pyjamas, dear boys and girls, is to spare the blushes of your housemaid as she comes to lay the fire in the morning.
Fancy not knowing that!
Shakes head in dismay.

'yorz
1276683.  Wed Mar 07, 2018 2:49 pm Reply with quote

Or the blushes of your B&B hostess when you try to find the bathroom in the middle of the night and enter the wrong room (not I, but a true story nevertheless).

Pickypete
1276685.  Wed Mar 07, 2018 2:54 pm Reply with quote

Helemaal zo.

Jenny
1276686.  Wed Mar 07, 2018 2:56 pm Reply with quote

I can't bear wearing pyjama bottoms in bed to sleep in, though I occasionally wear pyjamas to doss around the house in after I've had a bath before I go to bed. The most I wear to bed these days is a T shirt if the weather's cold.

cornixt
1276694.  Wed Mar 07, 2018 4:13 pm Reply with quote

I tend to get a bit sweaty without something on my top to stop the skin-skin contact of my arms onto my body. A light material that fully covers my arms and legs is also nice against the cold of the rest of the house before I get dressed, so pyjamas fit the need perfectly.

I use the pocket for a tissue or my phone if I am walking around with stuff in my hands (like breakfast) but I wouldn't sleep with anything in it.

Cornick
1276706.  Wed Mar 07, 2018 5:49 pm Reply with quote

For the 4% of the population such as myself who do not live in a centrally heated house, pyjamas are a godsend.

crissdee
1276713.  Wed Mar 07, 2018 6:40 pm Reply with quote

Pickypete wrote:
The wearing of pyjamas, dear boys and girls, is to spare the blushes of your housemaid as she comes to lay the fire in the morning.
Fancy not knowing that!
Shakes head in dismay.

Can she not do that while your valet is assisting you to bathe?

tetsabb
1276734.  Thu Mar 08, 2018 5:53 am Reply with quote

Pickypete wrote:
Fancy not knowing that!
Shakes head in dismay.

Could have almost been PDR writing that....

Pickypete
1277504.  Wed Mar 14, 2018 8:55 am Reply with quote

tetsabb wrote:

Could have almost been PDR writing that....

I say! I don't know whether to be offended or... or Very Offended.
Raspberries! So there!

Page 1 of 2
Goto page 1, 2  Next