View previous topic | View next topic

Pasties

Page 1 of 1

Cornick
1274620.  Fri Feb 16, 2018 5:51 pm Reply with quote

I'm sure Alan thinks Cornish pasties are made the way they are so that tin miners, having eaten the bulk of the pasty whilst carefully holding it by the crust with their arsenic-contaminated fingers, could then throw their crusts to the 'knockers' - spirits living in the mines - in order to ensure good luck.

There is no evidence for this myth whatsoever. Indeed 19th century photographs of tin miners show them all gripping pasties (unsurprisingly) with the fullness of their hands. No daintiness about it! Furthermore the pasties are clearly covered in either paper or cloth.

Anyone who has ever worked a hard shift will know one thing: at crib (break time) you're hungry; you eat every last bit of your food. Also I don't believe that tough Cornish tin miners were either particularly superstitious or particularly worried about the health & safety implications of eating a 'contaminated' crust on a pasty.

Jenny
1274678.  Sat Feb 17, 2018 11:59 am Reply with quote

I strongly suspect you're right! Welcome to the forums Cornick - stick around and join in :-)

Page 1 of 1