View previous topic | View next topic

Performances

Page 1 of 1

Ian Dunn
1273719.  Sat Feb 10, 2018 4:34 am Reply with quote

The 2018 Winter Olympics will be the first one in which figure skaters can perform to music containing lyrics. The International Skating Union has adopted this rule in order to attract a younger audience.

The figure skating began before the Opening Ceremony took place, and among the tracks performed were a cover version of "Wonderwall" by Paul Anka and "With or Without You" by U2.

Having said this, the piece of figure skating music that has got most people talking was an instrumental track. The music was part of the soundtrack to the Japanese figure skating anime Yuri!!! on Ice. This series debuted in 2016 and became a massive hit, not just among anime fans, but also among professional figure skaters. The series won loads was awards, was hugely popular on social media, and is mainly noted for its main characters, Japanese skater Yuri Katsuki and his Russian idol/coach Victor Nikiforov. They are noted because while it is never made explict, everything implies they are a gay couple, and their relationship has been praised for its realism.

Interestingly, the skaters performing to that music, Miu Suzaki and Ryuichi Kihara, are probably not the most famous fans of Yuri!!! on Ice. The most famous is probably the Russian skater Evgenia Medvedeva, who is taking part as an OAR, and who prior to the games was part of an NBC homage which depicted her in anime form. There is speculation she will perform to music from the show as well.

On that note, I was wondering which TV show or film has provided the most music that has been performed to in Olympic figure skating. Does anyone know?

Sources: New York Times, Billboard, BBC and Wikipedia

suze
1273723.  Sat Feb 10, 2018 6:24 am Reply with quote

Ian Dunn wrote:
a cover version of "Wonderwall" by Paul Anka

It's as horrible as it sounds. I felt obliged to check out just how badly my second favourite Lebanese Canadian murders that fine song, and the answer is "Really quite badly".

Jenny
1273756.  Sat Feb 10, 2018 12:43 pm Reply with quote

OMG it's awful!

tetsabb
1273770.  Sat Feb 10, 2018 2:23 pm Reply with quote

And your favouritest Lebanese/Canadian singist?

suze
1273783.  Sat Feb 10, 2018 7:00 pm Reply with quote

My favourite Lebanese Canadian - although not renowned as a singer - is of course Mr Keanu Reeves. He is, on occasion, most excellent!

As for Paul Anka, if you thought his Wonderwall was bad, the same album included his take on Eye of the tiger.

Bradley Walsh has done two albums full of stuff like this, but he's a comedian having a giggle. From a "proper singer", it's pretty embarrassing.

tetsabb
1273851.  Sun Feb 11, 2018 1:56 pm Reply with quote

I thought Mr Reeves was from Hawaii, partially

suze
1273888.  Sun Feb 11, 2018 6:44 pm Reply with quote

He's from everywhere, basically. His mother is English, while his father - from whom he is long estranged - is an indigenous Hawai'ian apart from the Chinese, Irish, and Portuguese strands in his lineage. But he was born in Lebanon, where his mom was at the time working as a dancer.

Paul Anka is much simpler. He was born in Ottawa to an American father born in Syria and a Canadian mother born in Lebanon, and was brought up with the Greek Orthodox Church of Antioch.

Spud McLaren
1273919.  Mon Feb 12, 2018 5:52 am Reply with quote

suze wrote:
Ian Dunn wrote:
a cover version of "Wonderwall" by Paul Anka
It's as horrible as it sounds. I felt obliged to check out just how badly my second favourite Lebanese Canadian murders that fine song, and the answer is "Really quite badly".
Actually, it ain't that bad. The band is rather better than competent, and tight with it. It's carrying the tune well, and the arrangement is good in the standard swing band way of doing things. It's sung in a way I'd expect from the genre. The only thing that's actually wrong with it is that the lyrics aren't in a style that "fits" with the swing style. I'd happily listen to it as an instrumental.

Page 1 of 1