View previous topic | View next topic

Oseberg Viking Age Tapestries

Page 1 of 1

IanZonja
1273598.  Thu Feb 08, 2018 3:59 pm Reply with quote

Hello,
The Oseberg Tapestry consists of two parts: a left and a right side, and the scene on the left side most likely represent a religious procession of three horse-drawn wagons followed by people on foot.

Depictions in fragments found in the Oseberg ship grave document that horned helmets were known in the Norse culture.

Maybe the horned helmets were used during special religious ceremonies and as part of a costume portraying Odin?
What do you think?

Feralcat
1278769.  Thu Mar 22, 2018 8:28 pm Reply with quote

The first looks like a hell of a lot of trouble to deliver 2 retro economy single beds from IKEA.

Maybe the first millionth single bed sold and then on to the photo opportunity of the delivery of the first of the second millionth of retro economy single bed in the RrealliUglee range?

(I chose IKEA as suitably scandinavian and as internationally known, as I'm from Oz)

Are they perhaps for the transport of VIP dead bodies ?

Spud McLaren
1278771.  Thu Mar 22, 2018 8:39 pm Reply with quote

It strikes me that they are bloody big horses.

Or very small people and wagons.

Feralcat
1278775.  Thu Mar 22, 2018 10:16 pm Reply with quote

Well, you know how it is...

My horse is bigger than your horse...

On it goes until someone has clearly crossed over into total lie mode and everyone gets thin lipped and quietly leaves that tapestry and the disgraced liar...

It's a well known sore point in the tapestry world

Perspective can only be stretched so far, until it snaps back and lands you a mighty sockeroo on the snout.

It takes a particularly stiff necked and belligerantly obstinate needle sticker to get through the apprentice years of beady eyed horse exaggeration, even now. Back then, it was all that AND no central heating!

Spud McLaren
1278786.  Fri Mar 23, 2018 5:23 am Reply with quote

Feralcat wrote:
Perspective can only be stretched so far ...
Very true with flax, although I'm told wool is a little more forgiving.

Feralcat
1278893.  Fri Mar 23, 2018 11:53 pm Reply with quote

I have a lot of experience in cutting wool. I have yet to do anything requiring wool to forgive.

After having years of experience with unwished for felting, I find it easier to fix it with a look and move away, before it happens - but then, I AM a lady...

I believe in the earlier centuries, it was referred to as 'being felt up' and caused pursed lips and a mass exodus from the work rooms and loud complaining.

I think the traditional cry was

" 'Ware R*lf!" or in worst cases, " 'Ware J#mmy!"

(Too soon?)

Spud McLaren
1278946.  Sat Mar 24, 2018 10:16 am Reply with quote

Nah, we've been doing ones similar on the Poor Taste thread since the news broke.

Page 1 of 1