View previous topic | View next topic

People

Page 1 of 1

Ian Dunn
1273358.  Tue Feb 06, 2018 8:07 am Reply with quote

Muhammad Ali has been banned for boxing for two years.

It's not THAT Muhammad Ali - this is a British flyweight boxer who has been banned for failing a drugs test.

Source: BBC

suze
1273381.  Tue Feb 06, 2018 1:19 pm Reply with quote

Well no, it wouldn't be that Muhammad Ali since he's been dead nearly two years.

In the case of this Muhammad Ali, that is at least his real name. Whether his father was a boxing fan and chose the name for that reason, or whether it's just a combination of two names which are extremely common among Muslims, I don't know.

There was a boxer around in the early 90s who used the utterly madey-uppy ring name of Slugger O'Toole. Yes, he does sound like a disreputable Irishman who'd take on anyone after seventeen pints - but in fact, he is a black man from Nottingham.

I don't know why he adopted that rather silly pseudonym, but it may or not be relevant that Slugger O'Toole's real name is Fidel Castro!

AlmondFacialBar
1273385.  Tue Feb 06, 2018 1:28 pm Reply with quote

Fidel Castro Smith actually, which, in fairness, makes for a bit of anti climax.

Interestingly, Slugger O'Toole is also a blog about Northern Irish politics, and not altogether a bad one.

Ultimately the name of both goes back to a line from The Irish Rover.

:-)

AlmondFacialBar

tetsabb
1273397.  Tue Feb 06, 2018 3:19 pm Reply with quote

One of the crew of that ill-fated ship.
He was "drunk as a rule"
I have a marvellous version of it performed by the Pogues,
I feel sorry for the dog.

suze
1273402.  Tue Feb 06, 2018 5:15 pm Reply with quote

I wasn't sure if I knew the song or not, and husband and I established that the song I did know is actually The Wild Rover which is not the same song at all.

So I checked it out on YouTube and found probably the same version by The Pogues and The Dubliners. I'm fairly sure I've heard it once or twice before, but I had not previously been aware of Slugger O'Toole, who was indeed drunk as a rule.

As for Muhammad Ali from Birmingham, the boxer who has been banned for substance abuse, the Evening Standard (12 Aug 2016) states that his father is indeed a boxing fan and named his son for the late American heavyweight.

I reckon only in part, though. The article also mentions Brummie Muhammad Ali's grandfather, who collapsed and died while watching one of his grandson's fights. His name too was Muhammad Ali, and you don't give a boy the same name as his grandfather without that being at least part of the reason.

Page 1 of 1