View previous topic | View next topic

QI Series O, Episode 14 - Oddballs - Flat feet

Page 1 of 2
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Jenny
1273322.  Mon Feb 05, 2018 3:53 pm Reply with quote

Oh that is interesting! Thank you cath91 - welcome to the forums, and stick around and join in some conversations :-)

cornixt
1273376.  Tue Feb 06, 2018 11:14 am Reply with quote

I have flat feet. My only issues with them now are that they hurt after standing around on them for a while. I can walk all day without much trouble, but standing still kills them. I have to shuffle around a lot if I am forced to stand in a queue.

swot
1273448.  Wed Feb 07, 2018 8:55 am Reply with quote

I have flat feet and it's probably linked to dreadful pronation problems and associated joint pains. As described above, it's not a disability or a huge problem, just a difference to be aware of and work around. I also wear orthotics in my shoes (and have done since I was a child) to correct my gait and standing posture, and they're very helpful.

thebosh
1280606.  Mon Apr 09, 2018 7:45 am Reply with quote

Can flat feet ever be fixed? Heard wearing some time ago that wearing specially created insoles can help with this sort of thing..

https://nuovahealth.co.uk/product-category/insoles-for-flat-feet/

true or just snakeoil?

Last edited by thebosh on Sat May 12, 2018 9:15 am; edited 1 time in total

cornixt
1280625.  Mon Apr 09, 2018 10:26 am Reply with quote

Depends on what you consider the problem to be.

Alfred E Neuman
1280629.  Mon Apr 09, 2018 10:44 am Reply with quote

Just glancing at the title of this thread, Id rather have flat feet than odd balls.

Feralcat
1280668.  Mon Apr 09, 2018 8:59 pm Reply with quote

I recall reading of a series of things to do to make your feet temporarily flatter to fail med tests for the military. Said to be one of the easiest ways to fail.

I've never tried it or known anyone who hss, but I believe I read that is the reason given for Trump not doing war service - and John Wayne in WW2 - tho many other actors with more serious med problems used their contacts to get them in DESPITE having medical cause to not serve

suze
1280699.  Tue Apr 10, 2018 6:34 am Reply with quote

Alfred E Neuman wrote:
Just glancing at the title of this thread, Id rather have flat feet than odd balls.

Very good Sir! Although in fact, don't most men have odd balls, as surely as most women have odd boobs?

Is it actually a bit of a myth that flat feet barred one absolutely from serving in the US military in any case? A person with flat feet might not be right for a special forces role that was liable to include long walks over rough terrain, but there are plenty of desk jobs in the military for which flat feet would not be an issue.

Is it more the case that some doctors who conducted physical examinations of potential draftees to Vietnam were sympathetic to the war's unpopularity, and were willing to find "excuses" to fail people? (Possibly, in some cases, for a fee - although that was extremely illegal and is not talked about.) Some others weren't, and a few minutes searching finds plenty of examples of people who say that they went to Vietnam flat feet notwithstanding.

But in direct answer to thebosh's question, it is possible to perform surgery to create an arch in the foot. It's not an especially common procedure since only a small proportion of flat footed persons find the condition sufficiently debilitating as to need the surgery, but it exists.

Feralcat
1280822.  Wed Apr 11, 2018 8:38 am Reply with quote

The down side to high arches, which I was not aware of, sound just as unpleasant and likely to cause problems, yet I have never heard of that being seen as a problem

I dont think John Wayne would have done much in the way of Special Forces or high danger/action etc. Very likely to - and probably ACTED in those roles and had a few silly women and men hyperventilate over him in the cinema, acting as John Wayne the seldom spoken alpha male hero and I have to admit to NOT being a fan of his films, "acting" or the man himself.

I think if he had gone in, he would have been all PR or ended up with the same sort of record as Young George W's record, later in the century.

I'm afraid rooster is the word I associate with John Wayne. It's not a 'doing' word, as you all know

I believe Jimmy Stewart volunteered and failed the med, as he was well underweight and embarked on a serious porking up exercise to just scrape in, then fly in WW2 with a quiet, humble but admirable record. I believe he won medals but they were not in any way suspect PR and was an effective officer.

I did read up on a lot of actors who volunteered or even had to fight to get in, or served before their actimg career, but I am too vague now about details, to list. Plus it isnt the subject of this thread

It would be an interesting title to contribute to, if it doesnt already exist.

I recall David Niven leaving the safety of USA and a career taking off, to volunteer very early

There is Audie Murphy and a ton of actors that I vaguely, fondly, recalled as a child, who had served in WW2, tho I never knew until decades later.

Brian Keith I think?

But I keep adding to a digression I must stop.

'yorz
1280842.  Wed Apr 11, 2018 10:56 am Reply with quote

Feralcat wrote:
it isnt the subject of this thread.

Whoa. Stop.
Rule #5 (?): never be afraid to doffcock (look it up under Search Forums). That's what is so endearing about this site - we all love to meander all over the place. Only the seriously anal will object. Eventually the thread will come back where it started. Or not.

Alfred E Neuman
1280846.  Wed Apr 11, 2018 11:00 am Reply with quote

'yorz wrote:
Rule #5 (?)

Did Guy get around to numbering the rules before the flounce? I must have missed that part...

'yorz
1280849.  Wed Apr 11, 2018 11:03 am Reply with quote

Nooo - Guy is one of the anal ones who cannot cope with doffcockings.
Is there a minimum period for flounces one has to adhere to?

Spud McLaren
1280863.  Wed Apr 11, 2018 12:08 pm Reply with quote

'yorz wrote:
... never be afraid to doffcock (look it up under Search Forums).
I believe it would be more effective to search for doffcocker since there is a handy definition to go with it, that being the original liff.

crissdee
1280875.  Wed Apr 11, 2018 1:58 pm Reply with quote

Feralcat wrote:
John Wayne.........I have to admit to NOT being a fan of his films, "acting" or the man himself.

And there we must differ, "True Grit" is, imho, one of the best things committed to celluloid, ever. As a man, he could be something of a knobhead, and was politically somewhat to the right of A.Hitler esq, but in that, and "Rooster Cogburn" he was sublime.

'yorz
1280877.  Wed Apr 11, 2018 2:06 pm Reply with quote

I liked him with Maureen O'Hara in The Quiet Man. Rather sexist, but enjoyable fodder.
They were great friends.

Page 1 of 2
Goto page 1, 2  Next