View previous topic | View next topic

Is the gender pay dispute a symptom of the Patriarchy?

Page 3 of 3
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Alexander Howard
1273481.  Wed Feb 07, 2018 2:16 pm Reply with quote

I was generalising. I will not deny the truth of your observation.

I was once shaken when in London I walked down a narrow, unlit lane in the City, not even in a dodgy area, and a young woman I had barely noticed walking a few yards ahead suddenly darted in panic up a staircase and hid. Now, most would not have reacted like that, but it is a sore reflection on society that some young women will panic like that, and a worse reflection on manhood in general that on occasion they are right to do so.

crissdee
1273491.  Wed Feb 07, 2018 2:35 pm Reply with quote

I obviously wasn't there, but isn't there a danger that you were imposing your own idea of her motivation in dashing away?

Alexander Howard
1273496.  Wed Feb 07, 2018 3:32 pm Reply with quote

Possibly. I can only make inferences from the sudden glance backwards, startled flight and headlong dash to the nearest visible refuge.

AlmondFacialBar
1273499.  Wed Feb 07, 2018 4:03 pm Reply with quote

It was a narrow, unlit lane. The probability that this woman's actions weren't motivated by fear is negligible. And I'm saying that as a woman who walks a lot more unlit places than some would.

:-)

AlmondFacialBar

suze
1273509.  Wed Feb 07, 2018 6:00 pm Reply with quote

Alexander, I have never knowingly met you. Do you happen to be a fairly large guy?

If so, I dare say that a lot of people both male and female would find your presence behind them in a narrow alley a little intimidating.

'yorz
1273516.  Wed Feb 07, 2018 6:47 pm Reply with quote

I remember tets' story when he found himself in a similar situation - dark street, woman slightly ahead of him. He was conscious of the fact that she would feel unsettled hearing his footsteps behind her, so he crossed the road, thus letting her know that he wasn't following her. Or something along these lines.

If you're jittery, even a small man can in your mind's eye have all his pockets stuffed with knives and the like. :-)

AlmondFacialBar
1273519.  Wed Feb 07, 2018 7:01 pm Reply with quote

Yup!

:-)

AlmondFacialBar

Alfred E Neuman
1273522.  Thu Feb 08, 2018 1:24 am Reply with quote

If you're jittery you won't even notice how big he is.

Alexander Howard
1273527.  Thu Feb 08, 2018 3:02 am Reply with quote

Yes - it was an unusual and excessive reaction. The point (bringing it back to the subject of this thread) is that I celebrate equality of the sexes but if I am ever tempted to think "job done" and that women now have the freedom men have always enjoyed, these little incidents show that actually I enjoy far more freedom just by virtue of being a man, and I believe that imposes duties upon me.

crissdee
1273531.  Thu Feb 08, 2018 5:08 am Reply with quote

'yorz wrote:
woman slightly ahead of him. He was conscious of the fact that she would feel unsettled hearing his footsteps behind her, so he crossed the road, thus letting her know that he wasn't following her.

I often do something like that myself. Sometimes I will stop and look in a shop window (if one presents itself) to let her "get away" from me.

tetsabb
1273532.  Thu Feb 08, 2018 5:10 am Reply with quote

The trouble was on my incident late one night was that we were on a gridiron if streets. She went ahead, so I turned left. She had obviously turned left further on, and we were on the same street again, and so it went till I got home.

Prof Wind Up Merchant
1273747.  Sat Feb 10, 2018 12:09 pm Reply with quote

These are interesting reads.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Patriarchy

https://www.psychologytoday.com/blog/acquired-spontaneity/201708/why-patriarchy-is-not-about-men

References cultural issues, power and domination.

Page 3 of 3
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3