View previous topic | View next topic

Why Pike was rejected from the army

Page 1 of 1

Ian Dunn
1273070.  Fri Feb 02, 2018 5:38 pm Reply with quote

In tonight's "Oddballs" episode, Alan said that the reason why Pike is rejected from army in Dad's Army is because he has flat feet. This is wrong.

For starters, in the episode in question, "When You've Got to Go", Pike applies to go into the RAF. In the episode he gives blood and it is discovered he has a very rare blood group. Because of this, if he was in a crash there would be nothing to transfuse him with, and it is for that reason he is turned down.

He might be confusing it with Walker, who in the wiped episode "The Loneliness of the Long Distance Walker" is called up. To avoid it, Jones tries to give Walker flat feet by getting him to jump of a ladder repeatedly flat footed. This fails and he is drafted, but Walker manages to get out of it because he has an allergy to corned beef.

Peeeeeteeeee
1274184.  Tue Feb 13, 2018 9:22 pm Reply with quote

I have a feeling there are many reasons in different episodes for both Pike and Walker getting out of being put in to the army. I believe, most of Walkers were not suppose to be true.

I do seem to recall, in the movie that was made a few years ago, Pike had a different reason for avoiding the army. It may have been flat feet. I will have to watch it again to find out.

Ian Dunn
1274191.  Wed Feb 14, 2018 2:13 am Reply with quote

Peeeeeteeeee wrote:
I have a feeling there are many reasons in different episodes for both Pike and Walker getting out of being put in to the army. I believe, most of Walkers were not suppose to be true.

I do seem to recall, in the movie that was made a few years ago, Pike had a different reason for avoiding the army. It may have been flat feet. I will have to watch it again to find out.

I haven't seen the most recent film (I've never been able to bring myself to do so), so if that has different info I wouldn't be aware of it.

Peeeeeteeeee
1275157.  Wed Feb 21, 2018 6:35 pm Reply with quote

Its worth seeing.

Personally, I like most of the original characters better, although Godfrey and his sisters were played very well.

If you watch it with an open mind, not expecting it to be the same, not over analysing the characters, it's a good movie.

Page 1 of 1